Tick Tock

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Flos Domum Regis
Commander Fox

    Fox reached his speeder and climbed in. He started up the engines, then checked his wrist comm. He'd missed a transmission from Clay. Fox sighed and switched his comm on. There was nothing but static for a while, then...

    "You'd better get back. There have been people asking for you," Clay said, not bothering with a greeting.

    "I'm coming now. I got held up. It took me a bit to find this place and then I had to find her."

    "Just hurry before the prison director reports you," Clay replied.

    "On my way."

    "Fox!"

    He paused, hearing the cry. The voice was familiar, but quiet and hoarse, as though it hadn't been used in some time. Fox turned and saw a clone running towards him. The clone removed his helmet.

    "Jairo?" Fox's eyes widened in surprise. "What is it?"

    Jairo's expression was filled with terror. "You...you have to come, now."

    "What's going on?" Clay asked over the comm.

    "Jairo, what's wrong?" Fox repeated.

    "Someone poisoned Mairin and Senator Chuchi is gone," he replied.

    Fox felt his heart drop. "Clay, I won't be coming. We need medics here as soon as possible though, and send a group to secure the area. Alert the Jedi Council too."

    "I'm on it." The comm switched off.

    Fox jumped out of the speeder and nodded to Jairo. "Show me." They took off running back towards the Domum. "Can you tell me exactly what happened?" He called as they ran.

    Jairo nodded. "Senator Amidala went looking for Senator Chuchi. When she came outside, she found Mairin but there was no sign of the Senator."

    "How bad is it?"

    "I don't know. I was the only one close by. Senator Amidala sent me to find help and then I came and found you. I haven't seen her yet."

    Fox gritted his teeth. If there was no sign of Riyo, it was possible that she was all right. The attacker might have poisoned Mairin and kidnapped her, he thought. They reached the Domum shortly. Senators and their attendants flocked around a gazebo outside.

    Fox shouldered his way to the front. Jairo replaced his helmet, as a few of the senators gave him shocked stares when they saw his scarred face. Archer joined them shortly. The three of them paused.

    "I think it'd be best if Jairo waits until medics have had a chance to look her over," Archer said, surprisingly serious for once. "Or at least wait until she's moved away from the crowd."

    Fox nodded. "I agree." Jairo simply nodded his agreement, apparently falling silent again.

    Senator Amidala was still crouched over Mairin. Senator Organa was there as well, along with Chancellor Palpatine. The Chancellor looked as though he would be sick. "I've called for medics," Fox said as he joined them. "We should move her inside and away from the crowd so they won't overwhelm her if she wakes up."

    He let himself look at Mairin, finally. He instantly understood why the Chancellor was turning all different shades of green. The light blue of her skin was now almost gray in color. A dark purple liquid, almost black, dripped down her chin. It was thick. Already, a puddle of it lay beneath her. Mairin's chest continued to rise and fall, but her breaths were shallow and wheezy.