Into Our Own Hands

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo sat on the edge of her bed, holding the flower Fox had given her a few days before. She had started drying it already, not wanting to wait, fearful that it would spoil too soon. The petals were dry and brittle now, but she sniffed them regardless. The faint scent of a fresh rose clung to them.

    The door hissed open and she set the flower down on one of her nightstands. Mairin cocked an eyebrow and smirked. "Again with the flower?"

    "I've never been given a flower before," Riyo said. She followed Mairin into the closet. Riyo sat down and picked at her nails while Mairin selected an outfit for her.

    "I've seen dozens of people give you flowers," Mair countered.

    "Well, yes, I've been given flowers. What I mean is, no one has given me flowers. They give Senator Chuchi flowers."

    "Ah I see. Don't worry. I won't tell."

    "Liar," Riyo teased. "You've already told Jairo."

    "I won't deny it."

    Riyo thought for a minute. Mairin approached and motioned for her to stand. She obliged and quickly changed outfits. "What's it like, trying to talk to Jairo when he can't reply?"

    "It was strange at first but I like a good challenge. I suppose that's why we still talk. Now that I'm used to it, it doesn't seem so odd. He never replies beyond expressions or gestures, but I can usually tell what he's thinking." Mairin began to do up Riyo's hair. "I think I'd like to hear him laugh, just once."

    "It's too bad he can't. I know there's been times that he wanted to."

    "Actually, I think he can laugh and talk. I think he just chooses not to. I don't know why. He's never even let me see his face before."

    "Really?" Riyo glanced over her shoulder. Mairin rolled her eyes and pushed Riyo's head forward again.

    "Yes, really. I've asked him, but he just shook his head. I suppose he'll let me see him in time, especially if we ever take things further. I can respect that for now, though."

    "For someone as immature as you, you're very mature," Riyo grinned.

    "Very funny. You'd better get going. Asha is coming with you to your meeting with Chancellor Palpatine today."

    "Oh, right. It's Jairo and Archer's day here. I forgot." They stepped out of the closet and left the apartments together. Riyo waved goodbye as she headed out towards the landing pads. Mairin went the opposite direction, towards one of the many apartment entrances.

    Asha was already waiting in the speeder. Riyo climbed in beside her and they took off towards the Senate building. "How are you today, my Lady?" Asha asked.

    "I'm all right, and I've told you that you can just call me Riyo," she replied.

    "I know, but etiquette demands otherwise," Asha replied. "I would, but the rules are important to me."

    "I can understand that," Riyo replied. Asha sighed, ever so quietly. "What is it?"

    "Nothing, my Lady. I just wish some of the other handmaidens took them as seriously as I do. I'm afraid that their behavior causes other senators and delegates to give you sideways glances."

    Riyo knew immediately that Asha meant Mairin. The two of them had never gotten along the greatest, although they tried to for her sake. Asha's cool head and caution always seemed to irritate impulsive and impatient Mairin.