Alleged Conspirators

Junalli: 20 BBY
Zunja Territory
Commander Fox

Fox stepped outside of the guest hut and blinked against the sunlight. Two days had passed since they'd reached Junalli. Mairin an Riyo were both recovering, although Mairin was healing slower than Riyo. Surprisingly, today was the first day the rain had stopped since they'd arrived. Lihol had guaranteed that it would start again soon.

Fox spotted Saji and Riyo across the wooden platform. He joined them quickly. Saji released Riyo's arm. "I'll go check on Mairin," she said, and darted away.

Riyo leaned against Fox and smiled. "How are you feeling today?" He asked.

"Better, but I'm still tired. Tilieu said we're leaving tonight. If we stay any longer, people will get suspicious."

Fox let out a groan. "They will be anyway. My wrist comm has been going off ever since we got here."

"Have you accepted any of them?" Riyo arched an eyebrow.

"No, because the signal could be traced. I've gathered that the Zunja would prefer to keep their planet a secret. Clay is going to be furious with me, though. Archer too."

"How did you find out that we were attacked anyway?"

Fox grimaced at the memory. "I'd rather not talk about it."

"Please?"

Her golden eyes gave him a pleading look. He sighed but obliged her. "Jairo told me. He actually spoke, too."

"Really? Is he going to start talking more now?"

"I don't think so. He's been silent ever since we got here. If he does talk, it will probably be to Mairin and Archer."

"I see. And what about Asha? Where is she?"

Fox rubbed his forehead. "I...can't tell you that."

"Why?" She settled her free hand on her hip.

He knit his brows, thinking up a response. "Protocol. You can't know where she is until later."

"It wasn't that way with Sib Canay or Far Modem."

"Just trust me on this. I'll tell you when I can."

"Fine, but I want to talk with her soon." Riyo released his arm and headed towards the healer's hut.

Fox watched her go, concerned. Footsteps signaled someone's approach. "Who is this Asha?" Lihol asked.

"Another one of Riyo's handmaidens. She's the one who poisoned them."

"And you can't tell Riyo where she is?"

Fox shook his head. "She's dead. She killed herself before we could arrest her."

Lihol arched an eyebrow. "I've heard of a similar story, actually. It didn't occur too long ago."

"What happened?"

"A clone killed himself after bombing a facility on Kamino."

Fox nodded. "I heard about that. How did you find out?"

"We have our ways." Lihol crossed his arms, clearly unwilling to share anything more. "Your silent twin, what's his story?"

Twins. Why does he keep calling us that?Fox wondered. "He doesn't like the details being shared. Basically, something happened that cost the lives of many. Jairo feels responsible for it and took a vow of silence so that it wouldn't happen again."