Growing Frustration

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Republic Military Base
Commander Fox

    It had been nearly a week since he'd enacted his plan. Fox knew he had to discover the truth and it was beginning to feel like an impossible task. He walked down a hallway and entered a quiet room. Fox set his datapad down and pulled up all the information he had compiled.

    He had created a list of the Jedi's suspicious actions, as well as the Chancellor's. So far, he couldn't tell which list was longer. Fox removed his helmet and ran his hands through his hair as he reread the information.

    The same thought came into his head. Organic chips built into our genetic code to make us do someone's bidding. Fox rubbed his forehead. He had puzzled over Fives' words so many times already. He'd even pulled up Rex's report and took what information he could from it. "The Chancellor. He claimed the Chancellor was in on it. Chancellor Palpatine said he had his physicians examine the bodies and they found parasites. Maybe I can find those reports."

    After a moment, he pushed the datapad away and grabbed his helmet. "What am I thinking? I'm not breaking into the Chancellor's office to steal information." Fox's gaze landed on the device. He stared at it, then snatched it up with a growl of frustration.

    Fox headed back towards the command center. Alarms began to blare just as he reached it. Chaos erupted and clones began running to and fro. Fox entered the command center, where Clay was waiting.

    "The Separatists are launching a full scale attack on Coruscant. The Chancellor has been kidnapped," Clay explained.

    "What? When did this happen?"

    "We only received word now. Generals Skywalker and Kenobi are going after the Chancellor. There are reports of both Dooku and Grievous being on board the lead ship."

    A sudden thrill rushed through him. "If the Generals kill or arrest them, the war could be over." A second thought followed the first. This might be my only chance. If I'm doing this, I have to go now.

    Clay nodded. "What are your orders?"

    "We need to increase security around the Jedi Temple, the Senate Building, and the Senate Apartments. I'll take a group to the Senate Building. I want you to go to the apartments. Send Baize to the Jedi Temple."

    Clay nodded again and ran out of the command center. A few minutes later, Fox found a squad of clones waiting near a gunship. They piled in and were soon soaring towards the Senate Building. Fox peered up at the dark sky. He could see the vague outlines of Separatist dreadnoughts and Republic Venators. Blaster fire lit up the sky in between them.

    The gunship touched down shortly. Fox quickly divided his group and sent them to their posts. Once they were out of sight, he darted into the Senate Building and started towards the Chancellor's office.

    Fox turned into a control room shortly. He switched on the monitors and quickly disabled all of the security measures inside of Chancellor Palpatine's office, as well as the hallway leading towards it. He switched off the cameras next, then set a timer on them and the security protocol. As soon as the timer reached its end, everything would come online again.

    Fox closed the door behind him and ran the rest of the way towards the office. There was no one in sight when he finally reached it. The door hissed open without resistance. Fox crept inside, scanning the office for signs of activity. He made his way towards Chancellor Palpatine's desk and switched on the monitors.

    "If he's hiding something, it won't be easy to find." Fox pulled his helmet off and glanced over the endless columns of files. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary. Minutes passed. Still, he found nothing. "Maybe this was a stupid idea." He dropped a hand onto the desk.