Transformations

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

True to her word, Padmé had arranged for a meeting between Riyo and Senator Lott Dod the next day. They were currently walking through the vast hallways of the Senate Apartment buildings. Padmé and Mairin were on either side of her, and Fox and another clone, Clay, were behind them.

Padmé led the way towards a set of rooms with Neimoidian guards outside. "Senators Amidala and Chuchi, here by invitation of Senator Lott Dod," Padmé said in introduction. The guards nodded and stepped aside as the doors hissed open.

Lott Dod and two of his associates were waiting inside a sitting room. They rose and bowed at the waist. "Senators, I hope we'll be able to put this whole ugly mess behind us after today." He motioned for them to follow.

They entered a large office and sat down. Fox moved behind Riyo's seat. Clay wasn't too far from her either. Riyo folded her hands and waited patiently for Lott Dod to begin.

"I have heard that you are still uneasy about the relations between the Trade Federation and the Separatist Alliance," he said shortly. "I can assure you, those fears are unfounded. The Chancellor's committee proved that."

"With all due respect, Senator, I don't believe they looked as well as they might have. I mean no disrespect to you or the Trade Federation, but it is my life at stake here. I want to make sure that we've done all that we can," Riyo answered. "I have sources who've told me that there are conspirators among you. The very same ones who hired Cad Bane to assassinate me."

She saw the flicker of rage that passed across Lott Dod's face. He masked it quickly, spreading his hands on the desk. "What can I do to ease your mind?"

"Nothing. There is nothing you can tell me that will quell my fears. I rely on actions and proof, in this case." Riyo crossed her arms, silently hoping he'd take the bait.

    He appeared contemplative for a few minutes, exchanging looks with his associates. "I may have a solution." Riyo inclined her head. "I would like to invite you to attend a dinner on Cato Neimoidia. You can meet with whomever you'd like. Interrogate them as you will. I hope that will satisfy your misgivings."

    Riyo smiled briefly. "I accept. When will you expect us?"

    "Tomorrow evening. That will give me time to...uh...prepare."

    Riyo nodded and stood. She shook the Senator's clammy hand, then waited while Padmé did the same. Their group left the apartments quickly.

    "That went well," Mairin chuckled when they entered the hallway again.

    "Now, you'll see if it pays off. I hope you'll be safe and successful," Padmé said. "I must return to Naboo for a few days. I'll be looking forward to your report when I return."

    "Thank you, Padmé. Safe travels," Riyo replied. They nodded to each other, before Padmé split off and headed towards her private landing pad.

    "Senator, we should return to your apartments and come up with a plan," Commander Fox said. "I have an idea, actually."

    Riyo nodded her agreement. The four of them ducked into a lift and were soon heading up. It took only a few moments for them to reach her apartments. Riyo arched an eyebrow as Fox paused and brought another clone along with him. Jairo, she realized. Fox had introduced them soon after the other three clones had arrived, although she hadn't spent much time around them yet. Clay took up Jairo's vacated post.

    Riyo entered her office and sat down. Mairin pulled up a chair and kicked her heels up onto Riyo's desk. Fox and Jairo removed their helmets. Fox gave Mair a distinctly amused look, before focusing on Riyo.