Heartfelt Interrogations

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Commander Fox

    Fox waited outside of Senator Chuchi's apartment doors. He had no idea if she was even there, though he'd activated the buzzer twice. He lounged against a wall, still waiting. Fox straightened, hearing footsteps approaching from down the hall.

    Captain Rye Tere approached him. "Commander, can I help you?" The Pantoran asked.

    "Oh, uh, no. I just needed to speak with...Mairin about something," Fox replied quickly. "Is she here?"

    "She should be. Senator Chuchi and another one of her handmaidens left a while ago. Mairin stayed behind." Rye moved around him and swiped a keycard through the console beside the door. It hissed open immediately.

    Captain Tere entered the apartments. "Mairin!" He called.

    She appeared minutes later, poking her head out of Riyo's room. "Oh, Captain, Commander. What is it?"

    Captain Tere gestured to Fox and left the rooms. The door hissed shut behind him. "I was actually coming by to see the Senator," Fox explained.

    "She's not here, but you're welcome to wait for her," Mairin said. She ducked into the Senator's rooms again.

Fox hesitated, feeling somewhat awkward. Finally, he moved over beside one of the massive windows and stared out. The view was impressive. From the window, he could see the outline of the Jedi Temple. Speeders, shuttles, and starships raced through the bustling airways.

"That's Riyo's favorite view," Mairin said from behind him. He glanced over his shoulder. "She has always been fascinated by the Jedi. Her first time going inside the Temple was when General Kirsi was assigned to hunting down her would be assassinator."

"She should have someone give her a tour," Fox said. "It's beautiful inside."

"Have you been there often?"

He shook his head. "Only a few times. Enough that I could show you to the Jedi Council chambers, but that's it."

The door opened before Mairin had the chance to reply. Riyo entered, followed by Asha. She paused, spying him. "I'll change later," Riyo said to Asha. The handmaiden dipped her head. Riyo waved Fox towards her office. She let the door close behind them. "I wasn't expecting to see you here."

Fox shrugged and sat his helmet down. "It's been a long day."

She began to move about her office, straighten up several files and datapads. "Tell me about it?"

"We're...interrogating Far Modem."

Riyo paused at that. "Is he not cooperating?"

"Unfortunately not, which means we get to use different means of interrogation. Thanks to Lott Dod, I don't have the option of simply submitting him to a truth serum injection or mind probes. We can't even let the Jedi use their mind tricks on him."

"That's cruel," she sighed. "I don't understand why Lott Dod gets to decide that."

"Far Modem was from the Trade Federation. Where were you today?"

"At a meeting with Chancellor Palpatine. It was far from fruitful. Senator Amidala and I were trying to convince him to reconsider purchasing more clones. There are so many that are missing in action or taken as captives. I think we should focus on rescuing them, not replacing them."

Fox bit his lip and didn't reply. Riyo moved over to her desk and began straightening it up. "I think I need your help with something," she said at last.