Temple Bombing

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Coruscant Guard Barracks
Commander Fox

    Fox knelt beside Jairo's bunk and rummaged around in the drawer beneath it. He'd hoped to find some clue about his brother's location, but so far, he'd found nothing. I've got to find out where he went before someone else does, he told himself for the thousandth time. It's not like anyone else will try to help.

    The door hissed open, revealing Clay and Archer. "What are you doing?" Clay asked. Fox turned his back towards them and kept searching.

    "That's Jairo's stuff," Archer protested.

    "Well, it doesn't look like he needed it much."

    "You're not going to find anything in there." Archer grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back. "Jairo isn't stupid. He wouldn't have left anything that would've said where they went."

    "So I was right. You both knew that they left together. Riyo knew too," Fox growled.

    "I told you to leave her alone." Clay crossed his arms. "Besides, of course they left. Why would they stay?"

    "Because Jairo has a duty to the Republic? Mairin had obligations towards Riyo?"

    "Fox, have you stopped to think about what staying would mean for them?" Archer asked. His eyes snapped with frustration, an uncommon expression for him. Clay shook his head, but Archer ignored him. "Their child would've been raised without knowing who Jairo was. Mairin would've received millions of questions. Those questions would only increase when the child was born, likely bearing strong resemblance to all of us."

    "Then..." Fox scrubbed at his face. "That would be their own fault."

    Both Clay and Archer looked shocked. "What is wrong with you? You're not at all who you were two months ago," Clay exclaimed.

    "I don't want them to get in trouble. If I find them before anyone else, then they have a chance of being safe!"

    "How would that fix anything?" Archer asked.

    "I don't know. Maybe the Chancellor could help somehow."

    "The Chancellor?" Archer raised an eyebrow. "You've got to be kidding me. Is that who you've been going to the Senate Building to meet with?"

    "So what if I have?"

    "So what? There's something going on with him. Everyone can see it. I don't trust him. Neither did Jairo. I don't think you should either."

    "That's enough." Fox jumped to his feet, glaring at Archer. "The Chancellor is a good man and he's the head of the Republic. He deserves our respect and trust more than anyone."

    "He's never done anything to earn it other than authorize the formation of the army when the war began," Archer scoffed. "I've never once seen him take a stand for us clones."

    "Get to your post," Fox snapped. Archer met his gaze with an even glare, then stormed out of the barracks. Clay remained. "You can leave too, if you just plan on yelling at me."

    "I plan on talking to you. What's wrong? What's really going on?" Fox turned away again. Clay grabbed his shoulder and twisted him back around. "You might be my commander, but you're also my brother. Even though I'm mad at you, I want to help. This has gone on long enough."

    "He knew," Fox muttered.

    "Who knew what?"

    "The Chancellor. He knew about Riyo and I. I don't know how, but he did. He told me that he's worried about a conspiracy within the Republic and he thought she might be a part of it. She might've been using me."