Difficult Decisions

Pantora: 19 BBY
Capital City
Riyo Chuchi

"Are you certain this plan will work?" Chairman Papanoida asked.

They were walking through the halls of the Pantoran Assembly building, where the Chairman's office was. Two days had already gone by, full of planning and preparations. Kyri had assured Riyo that they were ready to begin whenever the order was issued.

"I'm certain it will. It is our hope that more senators will organize fundraisers to help their own planets, if they see these ones working sufficiently," Riyo replied.

"Then you have my full support. I'll lend help wherever I can."

"Thank you, Chairman. That'll be appreciated, especially when I'm back on Coruscant."

"Do you plan on leaving soon?"

"Today, if possible. Chancellor Palpatine and a few of the Jedi Masters asked that I not linger long. Separatist activity has been a problem near Pantora," Riyo explained.

"Ah, yes. We've lost several of our import shipments thanks to those tin cans," the Chairman sighed. "Hopefully the war will be over before long."

"Yes, hopefully. If you'll excuse me, though, I have packing to do." Riyo bowed to the Chairman and headed towards a lift.

She went up a level and reached the landing pad where she had parked her speeder. Clay was still waiting beside it, as she'd asked him. "How did it go?" He asked.

"The Chairman is supportive of the fundraiser and offered to lend help as needed." Riyo climbed in and they took off across the city.

"That's good. You'll be leaving things in capable hands."

"Did you contact Captain Tere?"

Clay nodded. "He's having your ship prepared and someone went to find Mairin and Jairo. They should be there when we arrive."

"Good. I'd like to be back on Coruscant tonight. Padme told me there's another meeting tomorrow and we're discussing our measures for the fundraisers."

In a few minutes, they reached her apartments. The speeder landed and Riyo hopped out. She headed to her room and grabbed a bag, hastily packing her folded clothes. The door hissed open momentarily and Mairin entered.

"I was just about to do that," she said. "Let me finish. You go do what you need to."

"Thanks, Mair." Riyo gave her a small smile and left the room. She walked towards a lift and leaned against the wall as it moved.

She steeled herself when it stopped. Riyo stepped out and entered her parent's shrine. It looked just as it had the last time she'd been there. Of course, the last time she'd come had been with Fox. She pushed the thought away as quickly as it came.

Riyo stopped before the twin pedestals and looked at the portraits of her parents. Usually, she said something when she came. This time, the words wouldn't come. Riyo swallowed and blinked back the tears burning in her eyes.

"I'm doing the best I can," she whispered finally. "But it doesn't feel like enough. Will the war end soon?" There was no answer in their eyes. Riyo blinked again. "I hope so." She turned and left the shrine.

Mairin had finished packing when she reached her room. Riyo hugged her tightly for a moment. "Let's go," Mairin whispered. "We've been here long enough."

"I wish it hadn't felt like a burden to come this time."

"Well, we can't always be excited to do our duty," Mairin laughed. She grabbed a bag and they joined Jairo and Clay on the landing platform. Captain Tere was already in the ship. They boarded and sealed the ramp behind them.