Deserter Ally

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Commander Fox

The next day, Fox received a transmission from Riyo, with an appointed meeting time. He had just arrived at the Senate apartments. Fox jumped out of the speeder and headed towards Senator Amidala's floor, where Riyo had said she would meet him.

He tried to ignore the curious stares from passing senators and attendants. I'm going to have to start being careful, he thought. They're realizing I'm a more common sight around here.

Fox entered a lift and went up a few levels. It opened up to another crimson lined hallway. He glanced around and spotted Riyo close by. She waved him over and the two of them entered Senator Amidala's apartments.

"Padmé!" Riyo called. The Naboo senator appeared shortly.

"In here." She waved them into her office and sealed the door behind them. Riyo sat down across from Senator Amidala. Fox moved to the side, but remained standing.

Senator Amidala switched on a projector. Instantly, a hologram of Saleucami appeared. "So what did Anakin tell you?" Riyo prompted.

"Three clone commandos were sent to Saleucami to monitor the Separatist activity there. Their mission was unknown for the most part. They were there for several weeks until communication was lost," Senator Amidala explained. "Anakin said two more commandos were sent in to find them. They figured out where the others were being held, but were forced to leave the planet to avoid being captured themselves."

Fox raised his eyebrows beneath his helmet. From the sound of it, this information was supposed to be classified. How Senator Amidala got General Skywalker to share it, he didn't know.

"Does he know what we're planning to do?" Fox asked.

Senator Amidala shook her head. "Anakin has no idea. He'd put a very quick end to it if he knew."

"And you're certain the commandos are still alive?"

"For now. We need to leave as soon as possible, though."

Riyo bit her lip, thinking. "We should have a plan before going. At least a general idea, anyway." Both senators turned to him.

"I see another reason why you wanted me along," Fox said to her. He examined the schematics some more. "They're bound to have ships in orbit, so we'll come in on the far side of the planet. We'll have to find a secure location to keep whatever ship we take, close to the compound, but far enough away that we won't have to risk it being seen or damaged."

"When we get to the compound, stealth is what will get us out alive. We sneak in, find the clones, and sneak back out. If there are speeders around, we should snatch one and get back to the ship quickly," he finished.

Riyo and Senator Amidala nodded. "We'll take my personal ship," Senator Amidala said. "It's fast and quiet, and virtually untraceable thanks to some new modifications."

"We should leave today then." Riyo stood.

"I'll bring the ship around to your private landing platform in an hour," Senator Amidala agreed. The two woman grinned at each other.

Riyo left the room shortly and Fox followed her. "Are you nervous?" He asked as they walked down the hall towards a lift.

"A little bit. I'm more worried about whether or not we'll be successful. I've never done anything like this before."

"I haven't either, really."

She glanced up at him. "The difference is, you're born understanding battles and knowing how to survive them."