Republic Commandos

Saleucami: 20 BBY
Cut Lawquane's Farmstead
Commander Fox

Sunset was quickly approaching. Cut Lawquane had headed out to the barn close by, leaving Fox and the senators within his small home. Fox glanced over his shoulder at Riyo and Senator Amidala. The house seemed safe enough. He ducked out the door and followed Cut before he could change his mind.

"I wondered if you'd join me," Cut said.

Fox leaned against the barn door, watching him tend to his animals. "You know why."

"What's your rank?" Cut glanced up at him.

"Commander of the Coruscant Guard."

"The Guard, huh? Fancy. I bet you haven't seen too much action."

"Not as much as some of our brothers."

Cut perked up at that. "You aren't the first clone to find me and you won't be the last. I don't intend to give up my freedom."

"Why would you desert us?" Fox demanded.

Cut stood and faced him. "We are not the same. I have different believes than the ones the Republic engineered us with. I have my own desires and dreams."

"Tell me the real reason. I have those same thoughts, but I've never acted on them."

Cut sighed, finally. "After the battle of Geonosis, my troop transport was shot down. Nearly everyone with me was killed, or were heavily injured and died later. The Separatists who'd shot us down came to finish us off. I ran."

Fox narrowed his eyes. "So you left your brothers to be slaughtered while you saved yourself?"

"I made a mistake, leaving them, but it saved my life," Cut retorted. "I will always regret leaving them behind, but I don't regret anything else. That day showed me how the Republic really sees us. Expendable. Replaceable. Worthless. I decided I wasn't going to live by that standard anymore. I hid from the army and made a life of my own." He tossed a small holodisk over.

Fox caught it and switched it on. A hologram of a beautiful pink Twi'lek and two children appeared. There was a little girl, with blue and pink splotched skin, and a boy with orange skin. Both were also Twi'leks.

"My wife Suu and our children, Shaeeah and Jek," Cut explained.

"The girl is too old to be yours." Fox tossed the holodisk back.

"Neither of them are mine by blood. Suu never told me who their father was. If she wants to, she will. What matters is, I love them as if they were my own. In every matter that counts, they're my children and I'm their father," Cut replied.

"Where are they now?"

"Somewhere safe, on the far side of the planet. When Separatist activity picked up here, I told Suu to leave. I stayed behind to monitor things and keep them updated. As soon as I know it's safe, I'll join them or bring them back here." He paused and thought for a moment. "Although I suppose that might not be an option any longer, assuming you decide to turn me over to the Republic. I can't say I'd blame you. I'd deserve it."

    "I haven't made up my mind yet. If I don't, I could get into serious trouble if I'm ever found out," Fox replied.

    "What about those women? They don't seem like Jedi. I didn't see any lightsabers on them."

    "They aren't Jedi. They're senators, and you don't have to worry about them. They won't turn you in."

    "So why are they here and not Jedi?"