Taking Chances

Naboo: 20 BBY
Lake Country
Commander Fox

    They arrived in the Lake Country a short time later. Fox entered the house, with Archer and Jairo close behind him. He spotted Riyo and Mairin sitting with Senator Amidala and Senator Organa. Clay was standing close by.

    Senator Organa bowed to the women and left as they approached. "Senators, are you all right?" Fox asked. His hidden gaze went directly to Riyo.

    "We're fine, Commander," Senator Amidala replied. "Is there any word on the Chancellor?"

    Fox nodded. "The Jedi managed to find him and arrest the bounty hunters responsible. I think they'll be bringing him here soon."

    Senator Amidala let out a sigh of relief. "Good. I'm going to make sure his rooms are ready. Riyo, Mairin, are your accommodations all right?"

    "They're wonderful, Padmé. Don't worry about us." Riyo stood and hugged her. "I'll join you tomorrow when we return to Coruscant." Senator Amidala gave her a small smile and headed off.

    Mairin stood as well. "If you don't need anything, Riyo, I'll be retiring."

    Riyo nodded to her friend. Clay cleared his throat, pulling Archer and Jairo away. "Let's go make sure the house is secure," he said quietly. The other two clones nodded and split up.

    Riyo looked around, then took Fox's hand and pulled him towards her rooms. She shut the door behind them. Fox pulled his helmet off and wrapped her in a tight embrace. "Are you all right?"

    "I'm fine. Clay brought me here with the others."

    "I knew he would, but it didn't stop me from worrying."

    "What about you?" Riyo pulled her head back and met his gaze. "Are you all right?" Fox nodded. She eyed him skeptically. "Clay said you've been stressed about everything."

    "Clay over exaggerated. It was nothing I couldn't handle."

    Riyo pursed her lips, still watching him. "I'm sure you could, but that doesn't mean it hasn't affected you. You're not invulnerable."

    "I know."

    "Come on." She moved towards a sofa and pushed him down onto it. She gripped the clasps of his armor and started to undo them.

    Fox stiffened. "Riyo..."

    "Just relax." She gave him a stern look, then continued.

    "What if someone comes in?" He glanced at the door, worriedly.

    "They won't." She stepped back when his upper body armor was off. Riyo moved around behind him. Fox froze as her hands pressed against his shoulders. Gently, she started to massage his tense muscles.

    After a few minutes, he dropped his head into a hand and half closed his eyes. "I'm sorry."

    "For what?"

    "No one is safe anymore. The war is finding us everywhere, even on Coruscant. There's nowhere that danger won't follow."

    "The galaxy has always been a dangerous place, especially for senators."

    "It's worse since the war began."

    "The war can only last so long. It will be over soon enough."

    Fox knit his brows together, thinking. "I've wondered about that, lately. What will happen to us clones after the war?"

    "I don't know. I imagine the Senate will discuss it when the time comes."