Prologue

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Republic Military Prison Courts
Riyo Chuchi

    Cad Bane stood bound in chains on a pedestal before the court. Riyo watched him from the safety of a balcony, overlooking the trial. Only a few days had passed since Master Irel Kirsi and her padawan, Ziyah Comi, had arrested the bounty hunter and left the capital.

    Riyo found herself missing their company often. They had been called in to investigate the several assassination attempts on Riyo's life. According to Irel, Cad Bane had been behind the attacks and there was no sign of any Separatist activity along with him.

    Riyo sighed and drummed her blue fingers on the balcony railing. Despite Irel's beliefs, she knew there had to be someone else involved. Cad Bane was a bounty hunter. He worked to get paid. The question was, who was paying him to attack her? There was no definite answer, not yet, anyway.

    Riyo stood and politely applauded as Cad Bane's final sentence was given. He would be transported to a secure prison, where he would never escape again. She didn't miss the glare that Bane threw towards her. Riyo swallowed, but refused to let her fear show. Padmé Amidala placed a comforting hand on Riyo's shoulder. She had helped capture Cad Bane, along with Senator Organa and Senator Mon Mothma.

"Are you glad he's been taken care of?" Senator Organa asked as they headed towards a landing pad where a speeder was waiting for them.

"I am, but I'm still not convinced that he acted alone."

"You still think there is Separatist involvement, or the Trade Federation?" Mon Mothma asked.

Riyo nodded in reply. "Bane is a bounty hunter. What purpose would he have to assassinate me if he wasn't being paid to do so? He has no personal vendetta against me."

"Well, the Senate did approve that investigation in the Trade Federation's dealings. Perhaps something will come of it?" Padmé offered.

"Maybe, depending on who's doing the investigation."

"Don't worry, Senator Chuchi. I'm sure it will turn out fine," Senator Organa said. Riyo didn't bother to argue as the four of them entered a speeder and headed back to the Senate Apartments. She didn't share Bail's confidence.