Trying Meetings

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Chancellor Palpatine's Office
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo and Padmé waited outside of the Chancellor's office together. Master Windu and Master Yoda had already arrived. Riyo paced worriedly, a million thoughts racing through her mind. Fox had initially wanted to come to the meeting, but the Chancellor had contacted Riyo that morning and asked that he not attend. Riyo had let Mairin tell him.

    At last, the door opened and they entered. Chancellor Palpatine motioned to two seats. They sat down without a sound. "I'm sure we don't need to tell you that what you did was dangerous and gave us another component in the war," Jedi Master Windu said.

    "We understand," Padmé replied. "But we have no regret."

    "Saleucami was not yet an active war zone," Windu continued. "Your actions have pushed it into one. The Separatists are sending their reinforcements there. Soon, they will invade the planet. We will be forced to send our own troops there to help."

    "All we wanted to do was rescue those clones and prove to the Senate that there is no need to make more if we have the chance to save those who are still alive," Padmé countered.

    "Yet you proved the opposite. Now, additional clones are most certainly needed."

    Riyo met Master Windu's cold stare. She kept her own expression neutral, hoping that the intimidation she felt wasn't showing. "You say that as though we don't have hundreds of millions of clones already in the battle. There are clones already been trained on Kamino. More men are shipped out every day, yet you speak of them as nothing more than objects that are perpetually being replaced."

    Her eyes sparked with fire. "What happens when the Kaminoans run out of DNA? Will you stoop so low as to search out another willing donor? Will you force someone to become one if no one volunteers? Will you run the troops you already have into battle until the last one dies? Stop wasting their lives and start saving them. I've heard the statistics. There are thousands of clones being held captive by Separatists across the galaxy. I refuse to believe that no one can help them."

    Chancellor Palpatine reached across the desk and took one of her hands into his own. "My dear, you speak as an idealist, not as a strategist. What you are trying to accomplish is honorable, but it will never succeed. You must accept that."

    "I will not. I refuse to send men into battle with the assurance that their lives are our priority, only to turn our backs on them when they need us."

    "A strong heart and mind you have, Young One," Master Yoda said finally. "Both of you, courageous and dedicated. But the full picture, you cannot see. Elusive to you, true understanding is."

    Riyo shook her head and stood. "Is there to be a punishment given to us?"

    "No. You are, however, forbidden from attempting anything like this again. Your guards will be monitored, as well as your Jedi and clone friends in their interactions with you," Master Windu replied.

    Padmé's gaze narrowed. "Don't mistrust others because of our actions."

    "Their actions led you to your own course," Windu said.

    "If there's nothing more to be said, I'll be going." Riyo turned on her heel and stormed out the door, with Padmé close behind.

    "I see what you mean when you tell me everyone wants the war to continue," Padmé sighed. "They didn't even listen to us, or try to understand."

    Riyo nodded. "This happens more and more each day. I'm afraid the Republic isn't what it once was. I wonder what will happen to us when the war does end."