Timid Steps

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Building
Commander Fox

    Fox reached the Chancellor's office an hour after the bombing occurred. He'd contacted Clay and told him what had happened before leaving the Temple. Clay had promised to stay updated on what happened at the Temple. Fox silently hoped that Archer would turn up. Still, an inner voice told him that he already knew that wasn't going to happen.

    "Enter," the Chancellor's voice crackled over a comm as Fox pressed a button, activating the door buzzer.

    He stepped inside the office and let the door hiss shut. "Chancellor, I have some bad news."

    "One of the Temple hangars was bombed. Someone already informed me." Chancellor Palpatine faced him. "What happened?"

    "I don't know. They were still trying to put out the flames when I left. I did hear a rumor that General Skywalker and Commander Tano were going to be called back to Coruscant to lead the investigation."

    Chancellor Palpatine let out a sigh of relief. "Good, good. Anakin will bring the culprit to justice."

    "Sir, do you think it was a Jedi?"

    "I'd be lying if I said that the thought hadn't crossed my mind." The Chancellor stroked his chin. "We must be very careful with how we proceed. Everyone is a suspect, especially the Jedi." He perked up a minute later. "If you'll excuse me, Commander. I believe I have a matter that requires the Senate's immediate attention."

    Chancellor Palpatine waved him towards the door. Fox hesitated, then showed himself out. What does the Senate have to do with this? He wondered. If he calls an emergency session, Riyo will come. Maybe I can talk to her afterwards. He carried on through the halls of the Senate, trying to focus in between his resolve and grief.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo sat on a sofa along with Padmé. She held a datapad in hand, reviewing Kyri's latest report on the fundraiser. It seemed to be going well. They had been able to help many people and the Chairman had given aid as needed.

    "Everything seems to be working out," Padmé said.

    "It does. I'll work on transferring all of these reports and data into a presentation for the Senate to review," Riyo said.

    "Good. Bail and Mon Mothma should have their reports shortly. I'll tell them to give them to you. Now," Padmé set her datapad to the side. "There's something I've been meaning to ask you."

    Riyo furrowed her brows. "All right?" She set down her datapad as well.

    "Are you doing all right? For the past few months, you haven't really seemed like yourself."

    "Oh, I'm sorry about that. I was just dealing with a few things."

    "You can talk to me about it, if you want."

    Riyo brushed some hair behind her ear. "The problem is, it's not really something I can talk about."

    "That's all right. We all have those times. Just know that if you ever need anything, you can always ask me." Padmé gave her a warm smile. Riyo returned it after a moment. "What happened to Mairin, by the way? I haven't seen her in a few days."

    "She left." Riyo pursed her lips, uncertain how much to reveal. "She found out that she was expecting a baby and she didn't want to be hanging around the Senate all the time when it arrived."