Broken Trust

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Building
Commander Fox

    Fox hesitated outside of the Chancellor's office. He drew in a steadying breath and entered. Chancellor Palpatine was standing behind his desk, staring out the large window. "Commander, come in," he called.

    Fox stepped inside and crossed the room until he was standing at the Chancellor's side. "I need your help."

    Chancellor Palpatine glanced at him. "Do you, now? How can I help you?"

    Fox swallowed and removed his helmet, tucking it under an arm. "I've been thinking about what you've said. About the Jedi...and not letting myself aid the downfall of the Republic. I...I've come to a decision."

    "What kind of a decision?" The Chancellor arched an eyebrow. "A good one, I hope."

    "Of course, Sir." He bit his lip. "I don't know how you found out, but you are right. Senator Chuchi and I are close, too close. I'm going to stay away from her, for her protection and my own."

    "A difficult but wise choice. However, I'm not sure what this has to do with me?"

    "I don't believe Senator Chuchi would conspire against the Republic, and I hope that you're wrong about the Jedi," Fox began.

    "But?" The Chancellor prompted.

    "But if you're right, I have to make sure she'll be safe. Please, Chancellor, look out for her."

    Chancellor Palpatine folded his hands together and raised them to his chin thoughtfully. "Senator Chuchi is a dear friend. I would hate to see something bad happen to her. Of course I'll look out for her. However, I need something from you in return."

    Fox nodded. "Anything, your Excellency."

    "I need you to keep an eye on the Jedi Council. If you see or hear something suspicious in any way, I must be the first to hear about it."

    He wants me to essentially spy on the Jedi for him? As if sensing his hesitance, the Chancellor began tapping his fingers on his desk as he moved towards his seat. If he'll protect Riyo, I can do this. Fox swallowed, his mouth suddenly dry. "I'll do it."

    "Then consider Senator Chuchi under my protection." The Chancellor reached across the desk and shook his hand. Fox slid his helmet on and left quickly. He couldn't stop the feeling of guilt that filled his mind.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo dropped her head into her hands, letting out an exasperated groan. Her office door hissed open and Mairin entered. She sat down in her usual spot, but surprisingly, didn't kick her feet up on the desk.

    "What is it?" Mair asked, crossing her arms over her stomach.

    "I'm reading over the reports that are results of the Republic's most recent purchase," Riyo sighed. "More and more people are losing their jobs, electricity, etcetera."

    "I thought you were going to discuss that with Padmé, Bail, and Senator Mon Mothma."

    "I am, shortly. I needed to do some research of my own, too."

    "Of course." Mairin leaned forward and pulled one of the datapads towards her. "So I'm not supposed to think that you're sitting here hoping Fox will contact you?"

    "No, you're not." Riyo snatched the datapad back.

    "He really didn't say anything?" Mairin arched an eyebrow. "That doesn't sound like him. Especially since it's been two months."