Discovery

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Commander Fox

Fox was waiting on a landing pad, along with his three brothers. Jairo was already dressed in his armor. They'd traded only minutes before. At last, a door opened and Senator Chuchi and Mairin approached.

Fox quickly had to remind himself who was who, from a distance. Thankfully, when they approached, he saw the Senator's golden eyes and pastel purple hair with Mairin's features. He glanced at Mairin, noting her own golden eyes, although paler than the Senator's.

They boarded the shuttle quickly and were soon soaring through the bustling Coruscant airways. "Once we get there, I imagine they'll show us to a set of rooms. They'll plan on us staying overnight, since this is a late dinner," Senator Chuchi explained. "When Mairin and Jairo leave for the dinner, we'll start investigating."

Fox nodded. "Clay and Archer already know where they need to be."

"We'll position ourselves," Clay agreed.

Fox glanced out the shuttle viewport. They had cleared the atmosphere of Coruscant and were preparing to jump to hyperspace. The stars blurred into blue streaks as the jump was completed.

Senator Chuchi tapped his shoulder. "While we're there, no more of this 'Senator or M'lady' stuff. You'll have to speak like that to Mairin, but not me."

"Do you want me to call you Mairin, then?" Fox asked.

She shook her head. "When we're with the Neimoidians, we won't have to talk. They'll pay no attention to us. Just call me Riyo when we're on our own." He nodded.

Fox settled back in his seat. It wouldn't be long before they reached Cato Neimoidia. His gaze slid towards her again, beneath Jairo's helmet. Riyo. Not Senator Chuchi. Not someone he was supposed to protect. Not an assignment. Now, she was simply Riyo. He wasn't sure what that meant. Fox shook his head. Stop it. It's just for this job. Afterwards, she'll go right back to being the Senator.

    All too soon, they arrived on Cato Neimoidia. The ship jolted as it touched down on a landing pad. Senator Lott Dod was waiting outside, along with three others. One of them, Fox recognized as Senator Rush Clovis. The other two were Neimoidians, although he didn't know their names.

    Mairin and Jairo stepped out of the shuttle first. Riyo fell into place behind Mair. Fox and Clay were the last ones off the ship. "Good luck!" Archer whispered when they passed him.

    "Senator Chuchi, we're very glad you could join us," Lott Dod was saying to Mairin. "This way. We will show you to your rooms so you can freshen up before dinner."

    "Thank you, Senator."

    Fox glanced at Riyo. Her gaze was on Clovis and filled with suspicion. She pulled the hood of her outfit farther over her pale purple hair. The Neimoidians led them into a lift and up a few levels. At last, they reached a set of rooms. Lott Dod and the others left shortly.

Fox pulled his helmet off and set it on a table close by. Clay had already pulled out a small device and was scanning the room for hidden bugs. Riyo and Mairin waited patiently, until he finished. "There's two. One there and over here," Clay reported.

Fox dropped down beside a shelf and ran his fingers along the bottom and sides of it. He found a small bump and pulled. A tiny device with a red blinking light in the center appeared in his palm. He crushed it quickly and tossed it out a window. Jairo did the same to the second device.

"Can we run over the plan again?" Mairin asked. "I've paid attention, but now that we're actually here..." she smiled sheepishly.

Fox nodded. "You and Jairo will attend the dinner and do your best to keep the Neimoidians occupied. The Senator...Riyo," he quickly corrected himself, "and I will go do some investigating. Clay is going to keep an eye on everything in between the four of us. If something goes wrong, he'll be the one to signal everyone. Archer is staying with the shuttle to make sure it's secure."