Gnawing Anger

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Coruscant Guard Barracks
Commander Fox

Fox woke the next morning with Chancellor Palpatine's words still ringing through his mind. He rolled over and spotted Clay in his usual bunk. They must've gotten back last night, he realized.

There was no sign of Jairo, but Archer's bunk was empty so he assumed they were off together somewhere. Fox jumped off his bunk and pulled on his armor quickly. Clay woke a few minutes later.

"How was it?" Fox asked.

"Uneventful. We got the fundraiser organized and came back," Clay replied shortly.

Fox looked down, flipping his helmet over in his hands. "How's Riyo?"

Clay gave him an incredulous look. "What do you think?"

Fox set his helmet down and crossed his arms. "Does this really have to come in between us?"

"This is your doing, Fox. Not Riyo's, not mine, not Jairo's, and not Archer's. You're the one who chose to leave her. You're the one who decided to change your schedule. You're the one who stopped talking to us." Clay jabbed a finger into his chest. "Stop and think about your actions. Then come and find me. And don't ask about Riyo again. I've got nothing for you." Clay threw his helmet on and stormed out.

Fox scrubbed at his face angrily. I would tell him if I could. I would tell all of them. He put his helmet on and headed to a speeder. Archer and Jairo are on duty at the prison today. I'll check in on them later. I'll go to the Temple first, he decided.

Minutes later, he was soaring through the Coruscant airways. The towers of the Jedi Temple rose in the distance. As he passed by the Senate Building, a dull headache formed within his temples. Fox shook his head. That seemed to be happening a lot lately and he couldn't figure out why.

He parked the speeder on one of the unused landing pads and entered the Temple. The same old activities were occurring. Fox stepped into one of the gunship hangars and watched the clones and civilians going about their jobs. He moved onto the next one after a few minutes.

"You're here again, Commander?" Fox groaned inwardly as Barriss appeared beside him.

"I'm just making sure that everything is running smoothly," he said.

"Of course."

"Don't you have training to do?" Fox asked, when he moved on to the next hangar and she followed.

"Master Luminara is off world, currently. I've been instructed to remain here and continue with my lessons in the Archives," Barriss explained. She sighed. "Sometimes it feels like I'm just a burden to her, honestly."

"I'm sure that's not true."

"Maybe, but when I look at the relationship between other Jedi and their padawans, I can't help but feel like there's something missing in ours. Thinking specifically of my friend, Ahsoka Tano, I suppose. Master Skywalker has an unusual bond with her, sort of like her brother, or her father. They aren't afraid to joke with each other and to have fun when they can."

"And Master Undulli doesn't do the same?" Fox arched an eyebrow beneath his helmet. The thought didn't surprise him.

"No, she doesn't. She's always very professional. She's the perfect Jedi," Barriss scoffed.

"It must be difficult to have her for your master."

"It is. Not that I'm not grateful for all that she can teach me, of course."