Surprises

(Some dialogue and scenes from Star Wars The Clone Wars: Season 6, Episode 4, Orders, was used.)

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Commander Fox

Fox jumped awake and groaned. He'd slept much longer than he'd intended to. Pale moonlight washed through the windows into Riyo's chamber. He glanced to his side, where she was still sleeping.

When she'd returned from the Jedi Temple earlier, she'd been acting a bit odd. He'd asked her about it, but she hadn't given him much of a reply. She had simply said that she had something she needed to work out.

His gaze fell on his comm. It was blinking with a transmission. He grabbed it and switched it on. "Fox, you'd better get to the Chancellor's quarters immediately," Clay said.

"What's going on?" Fox slid off the bed and pulled his armor on.

"An ARC trooper attempted to assassinate him. Chancellor Palpatine wants to speak with you."

"All right. I'm on my way." He clipped his comm onto his wrist cuff and holstered his blasters.

Riyo shifted a bit and blinked her eyes open. "What's happening?"

"A clone tried to kill the Chancellor."

"Is he all right?"

"The Chancellor is fine, thankfully, but I've got to go." He kissed her forehead and slid his helmet on, before running out to his speeder.

Fox took off within seconds and soon reached the Senate building. The entire building was under lockdown. A few clones escorted him up to the Chancellor's office. The door hissed shut behind him.

Chancellor Palpatine swiveled his chair around. "I'm glad you could come so quickly, Commander. I believe I've found a way for you to redeem yourself."

Redeem myself? For Sib Canay and Far Modem's escape? That wasn't exactly my fault, Fox thought to himself.

"I have ordered every military division on Coruscant to search for ARC Trooper Fives. I don't believe he's fled the planet yet."

"Are the Jedi going to help?"

"No, I've not asked for their involvement."

Fox furrowed his brows. "They'll find that suspicious."

"Do you know who the trooper's general was?"

Fox quickly wracked his brain for the answer. "He was a member of the 501st, I think. I remember Captain Rex talking about him occasionally. That would be General Skywalker's legion."

The Chancellor stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Hm. Anakin will certainly be found searching for him, then. Regardless, I want you and the Coruscant Guard to find this trooper. Arrest him and bring him to me."

"Yes, your Excellency." Fox turned to go.

"And, Commander, this clone may tell you strange things. Do not believe him. There is something terribly wrong with him."

Chancellor Palpatine waved two fingers towards the floor. The movement was barely noticeable and it struck him as odd. Fox stared at the Chancellor for a moment, then nodded. He left the office quickly and found Clay waiting outside.

"What's our orders?" Clay asked.

"We're going to search for the ARC trooper and arrest him. I want you to take a group of men and check all the patrons at 79's. If the 501st is in town, it'll be busy and he might try to find some of his friends."