Darkness Calls

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Several days had gone by since the formation of the Empire, or Empire Day, as it had come to be called. Riyo headed down to Padmé's apartments. She hadn't heard from her friend since her last meeting with Padmé, Bail, and Mon Mothma. She was beginning to worry.

    Riyo activated the door buzzer as soon as she arrived. A few moments passed before Ellé, one of Padmé's handmaidens, appeared. "Senator Chuchi, how can I help you?" Ellé asked.

    "I'm looking for Padmé. I haven't heard from her in a few days and I was hoping to check in on her."

    Ellé's face fell. Riyo didn't fail to notice her red rimmed eyes. She swallowed, hoping her newest thought was wrong. "I'm sorry, Senator, but..." Ellé trailed off.

    "Riyo." She turned, hearing Bail's voice. He glanced between her and the handmaiden. "Don't worry, Ellé. I'll explain everything to her." He placed a gentle hand on Riyo's shoulder. "Come on. We'll talk somewhere else."

    Riyo allowed him to escort her up towards his own apartments. She couldn't help but look back. Riyo caught a short glimpse of Padmé's apartments. Most of her friend's things had been packed into boxes. The door closed a moment later.

    They reached Bail's apartment shortly. Riyo noticed several suitcases near his bedroom door. They sat down and Bail hesitated before speaking. "I'm not sure how to explain this gently."

    Riyo lowered her head. "Just tell me."

    "Padmé is dead."

    She had expected the words, but she hadn't expected the splintering pain in her chest. Riyo raised a hand to her forehead and braced herself. She didn't cry though her eyes burned. "What happened?"

    "You weren't aware, but Padmé was also pregnant. She chose to hide from everyone until these past few days. I knew, but I'm not sure who else did. Anyway, there were complications with her pregnancy. I tried to get help for her, but it was too late."

    "What about her baby?"

    "It died as well."

    Riyo drew in several deep breaths. She met Bail's gaze at last. His eyes were sorrowful and somewhat guilty. She chose not to pry and simply nodded. "Thank you for telling me."

    "I'm sorry."

    "I am too." Riyo stood and left the apartment. She returned to her own and curled up on her bed before anyone had realized she was there. She lay there for a time and still, no tears would come.

    The door hissed open presently. "My lady, can I get you anything?" Delaney asked.

    "No," Riyo whispered. She heard hushed whispers and the door closed. Fox appeared next to her. He dropped down to his knees and brushed the hair from her eyes. "Padmé is dead."

    "I know."

    "Why didn't you tell me?"

    "I only found out today from Emperor Palpatine. I didn't have time to come tell you and I wasn't going to tell you through a hologram."

    Riyo nodded. "It's all right. Bail told me."

    "Will you be all right?"

    She closed her eyes. "Yes."

    Fox kissed her forehead gently. "I'd stay if I could. I have to go to the Temple. Lord Vader believes Jocasta Nu is still inside. He wants her captured."