Strained Loyalties

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

Sunrise had dawned across Coruscant once more. Smoke still billowed from the Temple as Riyo made her way towards Padmé's apartment. The holonet was full of nothing but news on the Jedi spread throughout the galaxy. Several had escaped. Many more had been killed. Regardless, they were all being hunted.

Riyo reached Padmé's apartment and entered quickly. Padmé, Mon Mothma, and Bail were seated nearby. She wasted no time in joining them. "Something must be done," Padmé was saying. "The reformation of the Republic has given Palpatine absolute power. He can do whatever he wants and there will be no one to stop him. The others may believe that good will come out of this, but I don't share their sentiment."

Bail sighed. "I agree. The war may be ending, but not in the way we anticipated."

"Do you think any Jedi survived the purge?" Mon Mothma asked.

Riyo shook her head. "Anyone who was at the Temple is definitely dead. I've seen reports of a few Jedi escaping, but the clones are quickly searching for them. Even if they do survive, I think they'll go into hiding."

Padmé appeared thoughtful for a moment. "If they believe they are alone, yes. We have to find a way to contact the survivors. We could organize a rebellion if there is a need for one."

Riyo bit her lip. I couldn't join a rebellion. The situation it would put Fox in...

"I suggest we speak more on this later," Mon Mothma said. "We can't risk gaining unwanted attention right now. We don't know who we can trust anymore." She stood and dipped her head to them. "I must return to Chandrila for a time. My people will need me now."

Mon Mothma left shortly. "Bail?" Padmé asked.

"I can't stay either. There is something I must go see to. Some old friends may have need of my assistance." Bail smiled before leaving as well.

"What do you think, Riyo? Do you believe a rebellion will be necessary?" Padmé released a sigh and dropped her head into her hand.

"I'm not sure. I hope not, but only time will tell."

"Would you support a rebellion if it came to that?"

Riyo pursed her lips for a moment. "I don't know. I have to think about the position Fox would be in. Given what Emperor Palpatine said yesterday, it doesn't sound like the clones will be going anywhere for a while. I can't do something that will jeopardize him or make him choose between me and the Republic." She hesitated, then corrected herself. "The Empire, I mean. Is Anakin all right?"

"I think so. He came by last night and said Emperor Palpatine had an assignment for him. He promised he'd be back soon but..." Padme trailed off and glanced out a window.

"Why wasn't he killed along with the other Jedi?"

"He remained loyal to the Republic and to Emperor Palpatine."

"Oh." Riyo stood and rested a hand on Padmé's shoulder. "I'm sure he's fine."

"What about Irel and Ziyah?" Padmé met her gaze.

"I haven't heard anything from them. I hope they escaped. I don't believe they betrayed anyone."

"I agree. I hope you hear from them soon." Padmé covered Riyo's hand with her own and smiled weakly. Riyo headed back to her own apartments shortly.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Jedi Temple
Commander Fox

Fox removed his helmet for a moment and rubbed his eyes. He was exhausted, but there was still work to be done. Nearly all of the Jedi in the Temple had been killed. A few were still in hiding, though, and they had to be found.