Resolved Resignation

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo hastily changed into an appropriate outfit for a Senate session. Padmé had just contacted her about it and already, she was running late. Mairin dashed into the room, hairbrush in hand. She brushed through Riyo's hair and twisted it up simply while Riyo slid her bracelets on.

Mairin grabbed a headpiece and fitted it in place, just as Riyo stood. "I'll be back soon. Padmé waited for me," she said.

Mairin nodded and stifled a yawn. "I'll probably go rest. I've been having headaches again today."

Riyo gave her a small smile. "All right. I'll see you soon." She headed out the door and made her way towards Padmé's private landing platform.

She had only been back home for a day. Tilieu had agreed to release them from the Temple the night before, as long as they promised not to over exert themselves. Fox, Jairo, and Padmé had made it their personal mission to make sure that stipulation was met.

"There you are!" Padmé grabbed her hand and pulled her into the speeder.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make us late."

"It's all right. I was going to tell you sooner, but I completely forgot. Did you go through your missed transmissions yet?"

Riyo shook her head. "I haven't had time. Mairin has had headaches so she's been resting a lot and I've been trying to sort through a few papers."

"Is she all right?"

"I think so. Tilieu didn't seem worried, anyway, and Mairin doesn't either." Riyo thought for a moment. "What is the session about today?"

"Clone production," Padmé sighed. "I'm tired of this topic already. Ever since the Ball, the Senate has been clamoring for more troops, more guards, and more security."

"But if the Republic makes more troops, the war will only be prolonged."

"And we're close to bankruptcy. I don't care how many banks we deregulate, or if we deregulate the deregulations. We will still be bankrupt," Padmé added.

"Has the Chancellor expressed any opinions on the matter?"

"Not to me."

Riyo knit her brows together, thinking. They flew towards the Senate Building in silence. The speeder touched down on a landing platform and they darted off. Riyo followed Padmé until she reached her own seat. She entered quietly, grateful to be the only one there, besides her two guards.

Senator Organa was seated next to her. "What did I miss?" She whispered.

"Not much," Bail whispered back. "The Trade Federation and the Banking Clan are pressing the Senate to vote for more troops."

"Has anyone spoken out yet?"

"Not yet."

Riyo nodded and turned her attention to the discussion on the floor. Rush Clovis and Lott Dod were addressing the Senate from their hovering seats. Chancellor Palpatine was watching them with interest.

"There is no doubt in my mind. More troops are needed. Coruscant has been attacked too many times lately. I do not feel safe. We should double the size of the Coruscant Guard," Lott Dod said.

"And we should send more troops to the Outer Rim. Tensions are growing rapidly out there and the Separatists are gaining control of numerous systems," Clovis added.

"And where will we find the money for this?" Padmé moved her seat out onto the floor.

Mas Amedda waved a hand towards her. "The Chair recognizes the Senator from Naboo."