Hardened Resolve

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo held Riyah gently and cooed, simultaneously making a funny face. Riyah waved her arms and giggled excitedly. "She seems to be warming up to you," Mairin called from across the room. She was bustling around sorting through Riyo's clothes. She folded a few that wouldn't be fitting her again for a while and packed them into a tote.

    "Finally," Riyo agreed. "I'm amazed she spent so long not liking me."

    "Maybe you're just an unlikeable person." Mair leaned out of the closet and smirked. "Kidding, you're the most lovable person I know, next to Jairo and Riyah."

    Riyo smiled and continued making faces at her "niece". At last, she stopped and began to rock Riyah. "Chairman Papanoida contacted me. I'm not sure who he sent, but they're on their way."

    "That's good. You've been keeping yourself much too busy lately."

    "I know. Fox has scolded me incessantly."

    Mairin stepped out of the closet and took a sleeping Riyah from her arms. "How has he been? You said last week was difficult for him?"

    "He's doing better. The whole Fives ordeal just...took a toll on him."

    "So soon after the Temple bombing too." Mairin sat down. "Have you talked to Irel or Ziyah?"

    Riyo shook her head. "Not since the Senate Ball a while back."

    Mair began to speak again, but broke off as a door hissed shut from the other room. "Riyo?" Padmé called.

    "In my room," Riyo answered. Padmé joined them quickly. "How can I help you?"

    "Mon Mothma, Bail, and I want to take our fundraiser programs to the Chancellor. We hope he'll bring it to the Senate and convince them that they should all implement similar ideas where necessary," Padmé explained. "Will you come with? Lee-Char has promised to bring his own reports if a Senate session is called."

    "Of course I'll come. When are you meeting with Chancellor Palpatine?"

    "As soon as possible."

    Riyo knit her brows. "One of Chairman Papanoida's children is supposed to be joining me as an aide. If possible, I want to wait for them to arrive before going. I imagine this will be something on our agenda for a while, so it'd be nice if they can be informed of it as it's happening, so I don't have to catch them up."

    "Of course. Come by my apartments after they arrive and we'll go then."

    Riyo nodded and Padmé turned to leave. "Wait, you haven't seen Riyah yet!" Mairin ran across the room. Padmé paused and bent down to examine the baby. She smiled brightly.

    "She's beautiful, Mairin. I'll see you later, Riyo." Padmé smiled at them both again before leaving.

    Riyo yawned and lay back against her pillows. Mairin set Riyah down on a blanket before returning to the closet. Riyo gave into her fatigue and closed her eyes, finally.

    She woke after what seemed like only a few minutes. Mairin ceased shaking her and straightened. "A ship just landed. I'm sure it's the Chairman's child."

    Riyo rubbed her eyes and sat up. A headache was forming in her temples, but she ignored it. "You'd better disappear for a while then, until they leave for their own apartment."

    Mairin gathered up Riyah with a nod. "Call for me if you need me." She ducked out the door a moment later.

    Riyo slid out of bed and quickly brushed her hair up into a bun. She tucked a few golden accessories into her pastel purple locks, before smoothing the folds of her outfit. She quickly left her room and made her way to her private landing pad.