The Beginning of Change

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo carried a small bag on board the ship and secured it. Captain Tere and the pilot were preparing for their departure. Mairin had already packed up her own stuff, and some more of Riyo's.

Riyo ducked out of the ship and spied Mairin a short distance away. "Come on. I think we're ready to leave," she called.

Mairin crossed her arms and shook her head. "I'm waiting. You heard what Chancellor Palpatine said when you told him you'd be going home."

"I don't need members of the Coruscant Guard," Riyo replied, rolling her eyes. Still, she crossed the platform and joined Mair. Mairin rubbed her forehead, briefly closing her eyes. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." Mairin straightened instantly.

"If there's something wrong, you need to..." Riyo broke off as two clones approached. Her heart lurched, even when she realized neither was Fox.

"I hope you don't mind our presence, Senator," Clay said, removing his helmet. Jairo removed his as well.

"Not at all. Let's go." Riyo boarded the ship again, letting the others follow her.

They closed the ramp and strapped it. Soon, they were soaring through the atmosphere of Coruscant. "How have you been?" Clay asked, looking between her and Mairin.

"I've been fine. It's Mairin you should worry about," Riyo said.

Jairo perked up and shot Mairin a nervous look. She simply shook her head and sighed. "Why? What's wrong?" Clay asked.

"Nothing is wrong. I've just been sick lately," Mairin replied. "Riyo likes to exaggerate things."

"That's you, Mair," Riyo laughed. "You should go rest, though."

"I think I will. Let me know when we're approaching Pantora." Mairin stood and headed back to one of the cabins in the ship. Jairo followed her.

"How is..." Riyo began.

"As you'd expect," Clay interrupted. "I've tried to get him to explain himself, but he won't."

"Mairin said he won't talk to any of you?"

"Oh, he'll talk to us if he's giving us orders. Otherwise, he keeps his distance. He won't talk to us about you or about what happened. Honestly, I don't even know where he is half of the time anymore."

"What do you mean?" Riyo arched a brow.

"He changed his patrols. Sometimes he's on duty with me at the prisons. He made sure he's never on duty at the Senate building or the apartments. I think he does a lot of Lower City patrols and monitoring, but otherwise, I never know where he is," Clay explained.

"I see." Riyo let out a measured breath. The more I think about it, the more there is that I don't understand. None of this is like him, especially if he's avoiding Clay of all people.

"Senator."

Maybe something else happened with Asha that I don't know about? Maybe he got in trouble. What if he was caught by someone? Or...

"Riyo."

She snapped back out of her thoughts. Clay watched her sympathetically. "Sorry, what?"

"Don't worry. He's fine. But please, let's not talk about him anymore. I'm probably as mad at him as you are, or maybe you're more confused. Either way, neither one of us has the answers and stewing about it won't help. If I find out anything, I'll tell you."