Festival of Light

Naboo: 20 BBY
Theed
Riyo Chuchi

    The ship touched down in one of Theed's many docking bay. Riyo stepped off with Mairin close behind her. They didn't wait for the other senators. Padmé was waiting across the bay. She joined them quickly. "Welcome here. The Chancellor should be arriving shortly, and then we'll begin."

    "That's wonderful," Riyo replied.

    "I'm sorry, but I won't be able to accompany you today. As host, I'll be with Queen Neeyutnee and the Chancellor throughout the celebration," Padmé explained.

    "That's all right. I'm sure Mairin and I can find some way to occupy ourselves." Riyo bit her lip after a second. "Is everyone so certain that an attack is coming?"

    "I'm afraid so. The Senate Guards, members of the Coruscant Guards, and our own Naboo Royal Guards are here. Every inch of this place is crawling with security." Padmé shuddered a bit. "It makes me uncomfortable."

    "Is there some sort of evacuation plan if an attack really does happen?"

    Padmé nodded. "In case of an attack, the Jedi escorts will get the Chancellor to safety. Guards will locate you and bring you to us in the Lake Country."

    "So in other words, we should stick close," Mairin said.

    "Exactly." Padmé checked her comm. "I've got to go. The Chancellor will be arriving at any minute. Enjoy the festivities. I'll try to find you later."

    Riyo nodded and Padmé headed off. Mairin linked her arm through hers and started walking. "Let's go find a good spot to watch the Chancellor's speech. We've got some time before sundown."

    "You just want to go find Jairo," Riyo laughed.

    "Well, if we find Jairo, we might find Fox." Mairin wiggled her eyebrows mischievously. Riyo rolled her eyes. "Why didn't Asha come along?"

    "I asked if she wanted to and she said no. The thought of a possible attack didn't appeal to her."

    "It doesn't appeal to anyone," Mairin scoffed. "I bet she's just going through my stuff again."

    "Does she really do that?"

    "She's done it twice, or, she's admitted to doing it twice. I wouldn't be surprised if she's done it more, though."

    "Why?"

    "Because she doesn't like me. She thinks I'm too outgoing and that I put you in danger."

    Riyo sighed. "I talked to her after you told me about the lectures. She said she'd tone it down."

    "Well, she hasn't. I'm getting tired of it. Why did you hire her again?"

    "Because her family had no income after her father was killed by Separatists."

    "Right. What are you going to do if she keeps this up?"

    "I don't know. I can't fire her just for annoying you," Riyo pointed out.

    "I know."

    Riyo bit her lip, thinking. "I'll keep talking to her. If she won't listen, I'll tell her that I can set her up with another senator, but I won't allow her to disrespect me or my other attendants."

    Mairin inclined her head. "I guess that's all I can ask for."

    They neared the celebration area shortly. Two Naboo guards stood aside and let them pass. Riyo glanced around the courtyard, hoping to spy Fox, but to no avail. She knew Mairin was looking for Jairo as well. They continued on towards the stage. A clone seemed to spot them. He pulled his helmet off and ran over.