Friendly Faces

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Republic Judiciary Central Detention Center
Commander Fox

    Senator Chuchi parked the speeder on one of the several landing pads. Two clones and a droid were already coming forward to meet them. Fox handed one of them a small disk with his clearance codes on it. The guard inserted it into the droid, then handed it back to Fox.

    "What about her?" The guard asked, jerking his head towards the Senator.

    "She's with me," Fox replied. "We need to interrogate Sib Canay, if possible."

    "You know who to talk to about that, Commander." The guards resumed their posts and Fox led the way into the prison.

    Senator Chuchi stared around in surprise. Fox couldn't blame her. The prison was enormous and filled to the brim with clones and criminals. "Stick close. There's a lot of people in here who would love the chance to take you hostage just to escape."

    "I'll try to remember that," she replied. To his surprise, she obeyed and moved closer to him.

    There was an office close by, where the prison directors worked. Fox led her to it and they stepped inside. One of the directors glanced up as they approached. "Senator Chuchi? What are you doing here?"

    "I'd like to speak with Sib Canay, please," she replied.

    "I'm afraid that may not be possible," the director said. "He's scheduled to return to Cato Neimoidia and be placed in a prison there."

    "When does he leave?"

    "In a few hours."

    She crossed her arms and stared at the directors. "That's enough time for me to talk to him."

    They glanced at one another, then nodded. "Of course, Senator. We'll have him taken into one of the interrogation rooms. Shall we have escorts sent?"

    "Have guards at the door, but I've already got an escort." Senator Chuchi gestured towards Fox. The director nodded again and began typing away.

    Fox's wrist comm lit up with a room number. "Thank you, Directors." Senator Chuchi followed him back into the hallway. They boarded a lift close by. Fox selected the appropriate level.

    "Why are they taking him to Cato Neimoidia?" Senator Chuchi asked.

    "I'm not sure. Maybe the Senate decided to let the Trade Federation punish him themselves?"

    "I think he should stay here."

    "I agree." The lift jolted to a stop and they stepped out. Down the hallway, two clones were leading Sib Canay into an interrogation room. Fox and Senator Chuchi joined them shortly.

    "Hey, Commander. Clay told us about you mission," one of the guards clapped a hand on his shoulder.

    Archer, Fox guessed. And Jairo.

    "Have you had any luck so far?" Archer asked.

    Fox glanced into the room, making sure the Senator was out of hearing range. "She's difficult," he replied. "She's not taking to my presence very well. I can't say that I blame her, though. She just had two Jedi guarding her and her own additional security."

    "Here's some friendly advice from Jairo," Archer laughed. "Try being nice to her. Be her friend. Don't just be some guy who has to follow her around."

    Fox raised his eyebrows beneath his helmet. "From Jairo or from you?"

    "From Jairo. I'm just the interpreter."