Take Two

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo tried to keep her hands from shaking as she waited for Fox to speak. She couldn't tell if she was mad, nervous, or excited. It's probably all three, she thought.

"I owe you an explanation," Fox said, finally.

Riyo's mouth quirked into a frown. You owe me a lot more than that. Still, she said nothing.

"Before I left, I went to speak with the Chancellor," Fox began. "He told me that he was afraid the Jedi might be plotting against the Republic. Chancellor Palpatine brought up the fact that you have several Jedi friends. He told me that you could be using me as a way to help them bring down the Republic. I know you would never do that, but it gave me another thought, also encouraged by the Chancellor. The Jedi could use you."

"Use me how?"

Fox shrugged. "I don't know. They could threaten you, mind trick you into doing things for them, or even kill you to get the rest of the Senate to cooperate. If that happened, I don't know what I would do. I decided that I had to stop seeing you just in case the Chancellor was right. I couldn't let them use you against me or the rest of the Guard, should they actually turn traitor."

Riyo leaned back in her seat, unsure of what to think or feel. "So...you walked out on me because you were afraid? You were afraid that the Jedi would somehow hurt me and you would do whatever they wanted so that they wouldn't?"

Fox nodded, a hint of shame filling his gaze. "I know it sounds stupid, but that's why I left. I thought that by leaving, I would somehow be protecting you, my brothers, and the Republic."

"And what do you think now?"

"I don't know what to think anymore. My mind is all twisted up." Fox rubbed his forehead. "I talked to Clay and Archer this morning and we had an argument. We've had a lot of them lately. Clay managed to get me to talk to him some and I realized that I was wrong. My actions were wrong."

Riyo bit her lip, thinking. "Your actions were wrong, but your motives weren't. You were doing what you thought would be best for us and your brothers. I can't say I'm not mad. I'm furious, but I understand."

"You shouldn't. You should've thrown me out the door the minute I showed up." Fox dropped his head into his hands. "I'm so sorry."

Riyo furrowed her brows. She stood and walked in front of him. Gently, she took one of his hands and pulled it to her lips. "I'm still mad at you, but I forgive you. If you ever pull anything like that again, I'll find Mairin and let her have her way with you," Fox nodded and managed a weak smile, but kept his eyes closed. A muscle in his jaw twitched. "There's something else. What is it?"

"Archer is dead," Fox whispered finally. "I think he was killed in the explosion at the Temple."

"You know this for sure?"

He shook his head. "No, but he hasn't turned up yet." Fox swallowed. "It's my fault he was there. I told him to leave during our argument and he did. If I hadn't...he wouldn't have been at the Temple when the explosion happened."

Riyo hesitated a moment, then wrapped her arms around him and leaned her head against his chest. Fox stiffened, then hugged her back, tightly. "You don't know that. It's not your fault."

He gave no reply. A few seconds later, they stepped apart. "Now what?" Fox asked. He rubbed the back of his neck with a hand.

"Now, we try again."

His eyes lit up briefly. "Are you sure?"

Riyo nodded. "We'll take things slow."

Fox grinned broadly. "In that case, I'll see you later?"