[30] Higher Ground

A bit earlier....

You struggled to sit up as the feeling came back to your limbs. "Hisoka... You're with the League?!"

You shouldn't have been surprised - not one bit. The jester before you was a pro at playing both sides, something you should have learned from time and time again. He was only interested in his entertainment. Betrayal? Not a word in Hisoka's vocabulary, considering his only loyalties were ever to himself.

You heard Izuku gasp from behind you, recognizing the man in an instant. "It's him from before...!"

Poor Shouto, Tenya, and the other hero were all left confused. "You two know this villain?" Shouto questioned, his gaze hardening on Hisoka. You didn't bother to correct him - if Hisoka was now in league with the League, he was a villain. Shit, you should have seen this coming, you felt so stupid right now!

"Now you see," Hisoka started, twirling a card lazily between his fingers. You forced yourself to stand, leaning against the wall for support. "You're a valuable toy, but in order for Chrollo's nen to be exorcised, I have to deliver you to the League of Villains," he said, amusement glinting in his golden eyes. You wanted to punch that smirk off his face.

"So, what?" You asked hoarsely, warily eyeing the warp gate that still lingered behind Hisoka. "You gonna ditch me with those assholes?"

The clown shrugged. "You'll be fine. You've certainly gone through worse, and oh do I want to fight Chrollo." Hisoka groaned, swiping a hand down his face in a manner that made you shudder.

You saw Shouto move forward from your peripheral vision. "As if we'll let you take her."

Grimacing, you tried to keep any fear you felt off your face. The four of you together barely handled Stain. Even in peak condition, you knew that the four of you stood no chance against Hisoka, let alone all four of you currently being injured. You wryly thought to the text you sent.

If Kurapika or somebody else doesn't get here soon, I'm going to be majorly screwed. Shit.

"I'm not going along with you," you gritted out, finally able to stand without the support of the alley wall. You swayed a bit, but were otherwise stable. "You'll have to take me by force."

Hisoka started to chuckle, his grin widening into something sadistic. "I was hoping you'd say that."

Your friends had enough waiting around. Shouto, without any hesitation, sent a large pillar of ice towards Hisoka, the latter nimbly jumping out of the way. "Iida, hurry up and tie up the Hero Killer. We'll take care of this clown."

You weren't sure if Shouto meant that as an insult or perhaps the literal sense, but found yourself smiling dryly nonetheless. "Don't leave me out. This is my battle, after all, and I feel bad about getting you two involved in this."

Izuku shot you a determined look, standing by your side. "Now you're sounding like Iida... This is what heroes do!"

You nodded, before a wave of dizziness washed over you. "On second thought... I'm not sure how long I can stay standing. Whatever you do . . . Do not let Hisoka touch you."