[54] [Y/n]: Origin

16 years ago . . .

By the fourth trip to the Dark Continent, everybody was losing hope.

Led by the Mimbo Republic this time on a sturdy ship named Nidhogg, the expedition of 900 hunters and professional nen users were all tense. The past expeditions each had fatality rates at about 99% — in all likelihood, this trip could end the same. To prevent this, the Mimbo Republic had held an intensive screening process. Only the strongest of the strong were allowed to come to prevent needless deaths for their search of the Trinity Elixir.

One such woman, a qualified hunter with blonde hair wound in a high ponytail, was helping oversee the entire expedition. Currently standing over a worn-out map, she met eyes with the eight other people in the room, amber eyes harsh and stern.

"We're almost there," she started, "and if we're going to survive this and bring back the elixir, as well as any beneficial information, we need to stay vigilant. So far, we have encountered Pap, Brion, and the Hellbell."

Crudely drawn images of each Threat were spread apart for all to see.

"However, we're coming in from a different direction. We have no clue what the flora and fauna will be, what threats we may face. To keep everybody else safe, we must command our individual groups with 100 percent certainty."

Just like her, the rest of the room was tense, eyes glued to the commanding woman.

"Dial, you'll be leading with the frontline offensive and protection squadron. I'd advise using gyo constantly to keep an eye out for threats." A balding man with beady black eyes gave a thumbs up, seeming the most optimistic out of all of them.

"Ambrosia," a tall woman with pixie-style red hair raised an eyebrow in acknowledgement, "your squadron needs to take the sides as defense. Back up both the offensive squadron and our researchers. And speaking of the research team — Soh, I need you to command your group carefully. The research team and navigation team are our bloodline for this expedition — do not take risks. It's imperative that our findings make it back to the Republic."

Soh, a man whose appearance almost perfectly mimicked the woman's, nodded shortly. "You got it, Soleil. I fully understand."

The blonde, Soleil — Soh's older sister — pursed her lips and didn't say anything else in acknowledgement as she rounded on everybody else.

"Lupin, Moore, you two need to hold up the back with defense and offense as equally as well. Lupin, your hatsu is perfect for defense as you can project your forcefields over the back half of our group." Lupin, a cyan-haired male with slitted pink eyes, gave a pressed smile. He was strained, and unsure — on the other hand, Moore gave a hearty grin with a thumbs up.

"Lastly, Xerxes — as our navigation team, it's imperative you make it back as well." Xerxes' facial expression stayed blank, their white eyes seeming almost dead. "My team will be focused solely on protecting the navigation and research teams. No matter what, we protect those two teams and make sure their members make it back to the Known World. Got it?"

Stiff nods were received from around the table, just in time for somebody to call above that the ship had been anchored not even 30 meters from the shore. With no further conversation, everybody else left, save for Soh and Xerxes, who waited for Soleil. Her stern expression dropped, worry knitting her eyebrows together.