[41] Bloodlust

"We're literally getting nowhere."

Groaning as you sat at a patio table with Kurapika and Hawks, you resisted the urge to bang your head on the table. The three of you had spent the whole morning combing through Musutafu to no avail. No portal or any familiar people in sight.

Kurapika looked equally as disgruntled, his voice tinged with annoyance. "We can only cover so much ground - even if it's a part of a larger city, Musutafu itself is pretty big."

You nodded in agreement, pursing your lips in thought.

"If I wasn't with you guys, I could scope out the city easier from above." Hawks said this in between bites of fried chicken, not seeming as put out as you and Kurapika. At least somebody here was happier.

Although, his words did give you an idea....

Slowly sitting up straight, you glanced back and forth at Kurapika and Hawks. "We should split up."

That got their attention. Hawks immediately started to choke on his food, and Kurapika merely looked thoughtful, expression otherwise unreadable. Knowing Hawks would protest, you swiftly continued, not wanting to let up. "We should. We're not getting anywhere acting as an off-brand Mystery Gang, and we can cover much more ground if we split up. If any of us get into trouble or find something, we can send out a text right away."

For once, Kurapika was in agreement with you. Hawks, on the other hand, wasn't quite on board yet. "You're a magnet for trouble, kid. If you get caught, Eraser'll have my head."

You couldn't help but snort. "Then I won't get caught," you promised, leaning forward with a newfound vigor. "I swear if I see a villain, I won't engage. Okay? And if I'm in trouble and can't get to my phone, I'll send out a big burst of nen so Kurapika will notice." You weren't sure if that was actually possible; hopefully, you wouldn't have to find out.

Hawks was still iffy, but finally nodded in reluctance. If it was any other hero, this might not have worked, but Hawks seemed more willing to take the risk, and you nodded at Kurapika, standing up. Kurapika's lips thinned.

"[Y/n]," he called out before you could leave. "Don't do anything risky. Above all, stay cautious, okay?"

"Mhm." Your expression grim, you nodded once before going to leave. "I'll let you all know if I find something, okay?"

With that said, you were off on your own sleuthing trip.

And.... Nada. You had checked every single alley in Musutafu, it feels like, to no avail. You figured if there was any good place for a dark, swirly portal to another world, it'd be in either an alley or an abandoned building. Unfortunately, you were in a large city, meaning there was a plethora of both. This was like searching for a needle in a haystack, frustration taking a hold of you. This was useless. You were getting nowhere.

Seeing as there was nothing else here, you had turned to exit the alley you were in, only for your body to collide with another. The both of you stumbled backwards, neither of you falling down. For a moment, you were tense, expecting the worst, but...

In front of you wasn't Hisoka, or Chrollo, or Shigaraki. Instead, it was a cute girl around your age in a school uniform, her blonde hair twisted into two buns atop of her head. For a moment, the two of you stared at each other, but before either one of you could react or say something, another person entered the alley. Right away you could tell he was some sleaze - despite it being just after noon, he reeked of alcohol and had a leer on his face that made you want to punch it off. Seeing both you and the teen, his eyes lit up.