END 12: Toga Himiko

"My decision . . . Guys, I'm going back, of course, but there's one last thing I need to do before I go," you told them somewhat anxiously. For now, it'd be best to be vague; you were certain your friends would be against what you were about to do.

In your defense, though, doing crazy stuff was kind of your thing. At this point, you'd like to say that it was your brand, even.

Needless to say, your friends showed varying degrees of suspicion, and you couldn't quite blame them. There was reason to worry after all.

"What do you plan on doing?" Kurapika sounded resigned, weariness on his face. He looked more like a tired mom than an 18-year-old.

Giving a cheesy grin that definitely oozed 'fake', you put your hands behind your back. "I just need to... pick... something up," you told them unconvincingly. Gon huffed, staring at you for a moment, before shrugging.

"Will you meet back up with us?"

Killua didn't look too happy about the three of you being teamed up again, but he had no need to worry as you shook your head. "Nah, I have my own mission that I'm going to work on when I get back," you admitted, only heightening everybody's suspicions.

Gon and Killua, too used to you pulling stunts like this exchanged looks. They knew to stay in their own lane by now.

Giving you one last hug, Gon started to head to the portal. "I'll see you later, then, [Y/n]-nee!"

"Bye, hag."

Sticking your tongue out at Killua, you bid them both a goodbye before turning to Leorio and Kurapika, both of whom were still concerned.

You rolled your eyes. "Guys," you started, feeling both exasperated and frustrated. "Seriously. I'm not about to do anything super insane, okay? I promise."

Leorio was the first to cave, shaking his head in dismay. "You know what? I don't even want to know, actually. You're going to give me gray hair, kid."

"Okay, boomer," you deadpanned. "And I'm only a couple years younger than you, so don't call me 'kid'."

"It's probably because you act half your age," Kurapika butt in, and you would have taken greater offense if it weren't for the small, barely visible smile on his face. Oh. He was teasing you, the jerk!

Even though you tried to remain stern and annoyed, you couldn't keep up that facade. Instead, your expression melted into a softer one as you gave them both one last hug.

"I'll see you both later, alright?"

"Don't cause trouble for Shouta if you're going to stay here longer, alright?"

Not recognizing the name Kurapika just dropped, you tilted your head to the side in confusion, blinking twice. "Um... Do you mean Shouto....?"

Kurapika gave you a baffled look. "Aizawa. Your teacher."

"Wait, his first name is Shouta?!"

"You — you know what, never mind."

Leorio guffawed at Kurapika's vexation, putting a hand on the blond's shoulder. "Let's just go. There's no getting through that dense skull sometimes."

"Okay, rude."

Nonetheless, you couldn't help but smile too, feeling warm. Moments like this... Even if you were on the receiving end of the teasing, you truly did love your friends; you hoped you would see them both soon.

Silence fell between the three of you until Kurapika broke it, giving a small, almost forced smile. "I suppose I'll go, then. Don't do anything too crazy, alright, [Y/n]?"