END 3: Todoroki Shouto

"My decision . . . Guys, I'm . . ."

"Wait."

The firm yet soft voice had you pause in telling them that you wanted to go back with them, and you turned to look over your shoulder at the newcomer. Surprisingly enough, it was Shouto, and you faltered, your heart twisting. He was the last person you wanted to see right before you left.

After all, it was hardest to say 'goodbye' to the people you loved most.

You didn't say anything to Shouto, waiting for him to continue and wondering why he could be stopping you. Thankfully, he didn't waste any time as he stepped towards you, seeming unsure on what to do action-wise. "Can you . . . Can you stay?"

Ouch. You couldn't. You didn't want to — you missed your home world, and there was still a lot of unresolved business there, especially with Chrollo roaming free again. However, at the same time, leaving Shouto of all people behind was hard. You would miss his dry and somewhat dark humor, the crazy theories he tended to come up with, the awkward support he always gave you. He never failed to warm your heart and make you happy....

And now you were leaving him.

You don't have to, Ai voiced in your head, and you perked up, before leaving forward and grasping Shouto's hands. His face flushed, clearly not expecting the action.

"Come with me!"

"What?!"

The mixed voices of your friends, as well as Shouto's confused one, was enough to make you giggle lightly. You continued to hold onto his hands.

"Look... You hate Endeavor, right? What would be a better way to tell him to shove it than to leave and become a hero in my world?" He looked unsure, but you pressed on, insistent. "Now that I understand how to move back and forth between worlds, we can visit whenever you want, so it's not leaving it behind permanently. So please . . ?"

The indecision was clear on his face, and after a moment, he thinned his lips. "Before I decide... Can we make a quick stop?"

Looking back, you told your friends you would see them later, bidding them all a goodbye with a promise that you'd meet back up with Killua and Gon. It was short and sweet, and once the portal was closed, you followed Shouto's instructions on opening another one.

Shouto's stop turned out to be the hospital. Despite it being past visiting hours, you were able to sneak the two of you in there with ease, and soon, you found yourself stopped outside of a specific door.

Todoroki Rei.

Was this... His mom?

Knocking gently, a quiet voice on the other side of the door said, 'come in'. With that confirmation that she was actually awake at this time of night, the two of you slinked in, your heart starting to beat fast. Why was his mom in the hospital? Was she dying? Shoot, would she be nice? Or scary?!

"Mom," he started, shuffling. "This is, um, Freecss [Y/n]."

The woman lying in the hospital bed was beautiful, with warm brown eyes and neat, snow white hair. Her smile was gentle, and you could have sworn her eyes had twinkled. "I've seen the news. You're quite the stellar lady, from what I've heard."

Shouto seemed to flush more, and you looked back and forth between the two as if you were missing something.

Wait, did Shouto talk to his mom about you?!

Awkwardly, you and Shouto stood there, unsure of what to say, before Rei spoke up. Her voice was quiet and faint, but melodic, nonetheless.

"Shouto, if you want to go, please don't worry about me." Your eyebrows shot up, but Rei continued. "I don't want to hold you back. You... Need to do what makes you happy, not what makes your father happy."