[25] Scarlet-Eyed Lament

You hated keeping secrets. One reason was because you were just terrible at it, but the other was because it wasn't right for friends to keep secrets from each other, right? You felt like you were disrespecting and disregarding your friendships with everybody you have met, which is why you, personally, didn't have qualms about telling everybody the truth about yourself. They all had a right to know, right?

This is why you felt even worse keeping a secret from Aizawa of all people. Not telling him about Hisoka's warning was selfish, but if you had told him, you knew he would have immediately barred you from choosing Hawks' internship. You felt guilty, but your need to find answers outweighed it. If you had one thing going for you, at least, was that your nen was slowly coming back, but only from using ten and meditating every night. You still had a long way to go to be completely back in shape.

Briefcase in one hand and suitcase in the other (you had finally gotten your hero outfit!) you bid a final goodbye to your teacher and all of your friends, heading to the train you were supposed to go on. Happily enough, you spotted a figure getting onto the same train.

"Tenya!"

Calling out, the blue-haired teen waited patiently for you to board before you both found seats. He was uncharacteristically quiet. You half-expected him to reprimand you for shouting across the station platforms, but he didn't, and you squirmed a bit in your seat. He was focused and intense. He wasn't going to be like this for the whole train ride, right?

Speaking quietly as the train jerked into motion, you leaned back. "Interning for a week, this is going to be so exciting! Where are you off to?"

"I will be interning under the pro-hero Manuel in Hosu City." His answer was curt and straight to the point, before he politely asked, "Where are you heading off to, Freecss?"

"Shinjuku, the stop before Hosu. I'll be with Hawks," you replied in earnest, and he nodded once, giving you a smile that didn't seem all there.

"Hawks is an excellent hero, I am sure you will learn a lot from him."

That was the end of the conversation. Getting the feeling that he didn't want to talk anymore about it, you didn't bother with anymore conversation, instead closing your eyes and going into a meditative state. You still had a few hours before your stop, so you should take this time to prepare yourself as much as you can.

Tenya didn't bother to talk anymore, either. He clearly had something on his mind, and while you felt awful about it, you doubted there was anything you could do at the moment. Instead, the two of you sat in silence.

It was only when you had a couple stops left that you finally dropped the state of meditation and turned to Tenya, thoughtful in your words. "If you ever need me, just let me know, okay?" you offered solemnly. "Hosu is... well... just be careful."

It was obvious to see that Tenya was a bit perplexed, but he appreciated the sentiment with a firm chop of his hand and a smile. "Thank you, Freecss. I'll be sure to message you should I ever need your assistance."

You felt like that was good enough, and you stood up and gathered your things, exiting the train without any further comment.

Shinjuku was huge. According to the internet, it was well-known for it's entertainment and shopping centers, and you were a bit bummed you wouldn't have any time to check those out. Unfortunately, this work internship thing was probably not going to allow you any time to go on a shopping spree.

Damn it.

Scanning the crowd, you saw a girl holding up a large sign with the name 'Freecss [Y/n]' in bold, [f/c] letters. A poorly drawn smiley face on the end completed the childish poster, and you made your way over. This girl was certainly not Hawks, but she recognized you right away, her face giddy.