END 9: Uraraka Ochaco

"My decision . . . Guys, I'm — if it's okay, I'd like to give somebody one last goodbye. I'm going to miss her a lot."

Kurapika's gaze softened in understanding, nodding. "Take your time. You can always come back, so don't worry about never seeing anybody again."

While you appreciated the reassurance, you couldn't quite believe him. In both this world and your own, danger was always present; there was no telling who'd next get hurt, who'd next die. It was a morbid thought, and quite unlike you to be so pessimistic, but it was the reality of both worlds.

You just had to trust in your friends that they'd rise above it all.

Gon hummed, kicking his foot out. "Are you going to meet back up with us?"

"OI, don't give the old hag ideas!"

Ignoring Killua — the best course of action, really — you shrugged. "Sorry little bro, but I'm not actually wanting to meet Ging. Like, at all. So I might just do my own thing for a bit, and..." You trailed off, giving a sheepish smile. "I'd like to know more about The Dark Continent, where I'm from and what I am exactly."

Your reasoning was more solid than any of them had expected, and Gon grinned and hugged you. At least he wasn't at all offended that you didn't want to meet Ging.

"You can do it! And if you ever need help, you can call us!"

"Yeah, you don't have to do any of this alone." Leorio gave you a grin before hugging you. When he pulled back, his grin turned softer and he patted your head. "We'll — I'll — always have your back."

"Thanks, Leorio."

Kurapika affirmed Leorio's words, and you hugged him too before stepping back and letting out a dramatic sigh. "Y'all better get going, it's getting exhausting to keep this portal open."

"Oh! Sorry!"

Gon was first to apologize, grabbing Killua's hand and pulling him forward. He turned back one last time, giving you a grin as he saluted you. "See ya, big sis [Y/n]!"

The two disappeared, Killua nodding once before he was gone.

Exchanging glances, Leorio and Kurapika gave rueful smiles to each other (why, you weren't sure), before bidding you a farewell. They, too, went through the portal before it closed completely.

You felt somewhat drained from keeping the portal open for so long, but you couldn't rest yet! Stretching your arms above your head and letting your shoulders give a satisfying pop, you started to leisurely head back to the dorms.

What if she's sleeping already?

You rolled your eyes, but responded out loud to Ai nonetheless. "Then I'll wake her up. Duh."

Even if you couldn't see Ai, you could imagine the look of exasperation on their face — well, if they were capable of showing emotion, you supposed.

The walk to the dorms wasn't long, and with a quick sweep of en you were able to locate the room you were looking for: Ochaco Uraraka's.

It felt weird and somewhat suspicious to sneak through the dorms so late at night, but you made you way to Ochaco's bedroom, lightly knocking on the door — seconds later, the door cracked open. She was in her pajamas, but looked to still be awake — and very surprised to see that you were the one knocking on her door.

"[Y/n]?!"

"SSHHHH!" Putting a finger to her lips, you looked around, hoping nobody else would come out and investigate the noise. "Can I come in?"