Chapter Thirty Six

Angelica was standing by the upstairs hallway window, watching out for her adoptive brother worriedly. He'd left almost two hours ago to drop his boyfriend off at his house, promising to be back as soon as possible.

She nearly screamed when she saw Alex walking down the street, talking to Thomas who was still not home.

Alex was just about to open the door when it was flung open by a frantic Angelica, who pulled both him and Thomas inside and looked them over. "Are you alright? You said that you'd be back soon two hours ago. Where the hell have you been? And why's Thomas here?" she asked, fury clear in her voice.

Alex exchanged a glance with Thomas and opened his mouth to explain, but an inhuman shriek cut him off. "Alex," Peggy squealed. Eliza ran down the stairs after her, looking terrified for her little sister.

John descended behind the two, snorting at his girlfriend's antics. When he saw Alex his smile slowly slid off his face, and he couldn't seem to return the grin his best friend shot him. Alex's happy front slipped a little, but he hurried to pull it back up.

Angelica had turned her attention to Peggy and was yelling at her for sliding down the banister, and Alex took advantage of her distraction, grabbing Thomas's hand and pulling him towards his room, giggling quietly.

When the two walked past John, Alex locked eyes with him and expressed his hurt and confusion with his eyes. John looked away, ashamed, and Alex continued up the stairs.

Thomas waited until the pair were safely in Alex's room before asking, "What's going on between you and John?" Alex sighed and pressed his forehead to the wood of his door. 

"I wish I knew," he replied with a sigh. "He won't talk to me, he barely looks at me, and I miss him. He's my best friend and it hurts me that I've done something to upset him." Thomas hummed sympathetically and pulled Alex against his side.

"Well, I'm sure there must be something else going on that's triggering this. Maybe he needs to tell you something, but he can't find the words. I'm sure you didn't do anything to make him angry," he soothed. 

Alex just sighed again and nodded. "I hope so," he answered. Thomas kissed the top of Alex's head and then rested his cheek on the same spot he kissed. He hummed in contentment and Alex was all too happy to let his boyfriend be affectionate. After the day he'd just had, he deserved it.

There was a knock on the door. Alex lifted his eyes towards it slightly and called out a quiet, "Come in." After a short pause, the door opened to Alex's adoptive father, Philip Schuyler. Alex instantly sat up straighter when he came in. "Good-" he glanced at the clock "-morning, sir," he greeted.

Philip smiled. "Good morning Alexander. May I sit?" he requested, gesturing at the chair lying at Alex's desk. Alex nodded in response, gently nudging Thomas into a sitting position. Philip held up his hands. "No, no, please boys, don't feel a need to move for me," he insisted. 

Thomas relaxed a bit and rested his head on Alex's shoulder. Alex took his hand discretely and Thomas smiled slightly, his eyes drooping shut. He'd had a long day and it was starting to affect his alertness. 

Alex turned to his father expectantly. "Is there something wrong sir?" he asked. Philip shook his head and leaned back in his seat, his right leg moving to rest on his left. 

"Not at all Alexander, not at all," he said. "I merely wanted to talk with you about last night." Thomas felt Alex's hand squeeze his for a second before Alex relaxed again. 

"Alright," he started. "What about it?"

Philip stared at him for a moment. "There was a storm," he began, and Alex nodded. "And I know that you don't do well in storms and obviously Catherine had the girls last night, so I left work early to check on you. Imagine my surprise when I get home and find you being the comforter, not the comforted."

Alex continued nodding, his face impassive as he squeezed Thomas's hand again. Philip continued, turning to Thomas, "First off, I want to thank you, for making Alexander happy. Second, I want to warn you that if you ever hurt him-"

"You'll kill me, yep I've got it," Thomas interrupted, smiling down at Alex. "However, I-"

"Don't plan on ever hurting Alex?" Philip cut back in. "But what I was going to say, was that Alexander's sisters will kill you if you ever hurt him. And lastly, you're always going to be welcome here, no matter the circumstances."

Thomas blinked. "I, I am?" he checked, almost squealing when Philip nodded. "Thank you, sir, thank you! I mean, I could go home, it's not like it's not safe there or anything but-" he cut himself off before he could finish his sentence. 

Thomas regathered his thoughts. "I could go home because my home is safe, but to be honest, sir?" he asked, looking at Philip. "My home is with Alexander, wherever that may be."

Alex sent Thomas a touched look, and Thomas returned it with a gentle smile. "I love you," Alex reminded Thomas needlessly, Thomas never forgot.

"I love you too," Thomas replied sweetly, leaning down a little and pecking Alex's lips. Philip cleared his throat awkwardly.

"I think I'm going to leave you two to it," he excused himself. Alex waved vaguely at him, but his eyes were fixed on Thomas. Philip just chuckled and shut the door behind him quietly.

He turned around and almost walked straight into John Laurens, who was pacing nervously back and forth in front of Alex's door. Philip paused and looked at John strangely.

The boy didn't even seem to have noticed his grilfriend's father and Philip found himself filled with concern. "John?" he asked gently. John jumped and looked at Philip with wide eyes.

"Mr Schuyler, sir, I, uh, I didn't know you were in there with," he trailed off. Philip narrowed his eyes at the stammering boy. 

"Is everything alright, John?" he asked. John fidgeted and looked at his hands. 

"Well, there's nothing wrong exactly, sir," he deflected. Philip just raised an eyebrow. John sighed, "Well, I just really need to talk to Alexander, sir."

Philip just shrugged and stepped aside. "Well, Alex and Thomas are in there. Knock whenever you're ready," he said, and walked away to his study. He heard John's pacing resume and sighed. 

~Time skip~

Alex and Thomas were lying on the smaller of the two's bed, Alex curled up on top of Thomas. Alex sighed contentedly and yawned.

Thomas rubbed his boyfriend's back gently, and felt him press closer. "This is nice," Alex admitted. Thomas hummed in agreement.

There was a knock on the door and Alex groaned. Thomas chuckled."I can answer it if you want to stay in bed," he offered. Alex shook his head.

"Nah, it's fine. If it's Angie or Liza they might try to kill me, so it's probably safer if I go to the door," he explained. Thomas shrugged and wriggled further under the covers to get ready for the loss of Alex's body's heat.

"Suit yourself," he murmured tiredly and loosened his arms so that Alex could wriggle out.

Alex walked to the door exhaustedly, half-deciding that he was just gonna tell whoever was there to go away and speak to him in the morning.

He opened the door and his mouth at the same time, fully prepared to tell his disturber to get lost, when he saw John. Instead of "piss off" being the first words out of his mouth, "John?" came out instead.

Out of the corner of his eye, Alex saw Thomas's head poke up over the top of the covers at the sound, and John gave a sheepish smile.

"Uh, hey, Alex," he started awkwardly. "Can we talk?"

~

Yes, yes, it's been forever and I haven't updated, believe me, I know. I'm sorry.