Chapter Forty One

Alex's head whipped to Laf. "What?" he asked, confused. John's face mimicked Alex's.

Laf rolled his eyes. "I didn't hit my cousin. He's just a, how you say? Pussy and passed out, causing both of you to presume he was dead," he explained.

John's face fell slack. "He's okay?" he asked, relief evident all over his face. "He's...okay," he repeated slowly, growing pale.

"John, mon ami?" Laf checked nervously. "Is everything alright?"

John shook his head. "No," he mused. "And I don't suppose it will be." Alex walked back to his boyfriend, John and Laf following behind.

When Laf went to go and stand next to Thomas and Alex, John hung back. Laf looked at him and tutted, grabbing his friend's arm and hauling him with him.

John just stayed limp, letting Laf drag him. Peggy wrapped an arm around his shoulders as he gently touched Thomas's shoulder, glancing nervously at Alex.

Alex, however, was entirely focused on Thomas, who was slowly coming to. "Alex?" he murmured weakly. "Is John okay?"

John whipped his hand away like it had been burnt and Alex looked hurt. "Yeah, John's not hurt," he replied. Thomas nodded and leaned back.

"Can you tell him I'm sorry?" he asked. Alex looked like he could cry.

"What about me? I thought you were dead and your first worry is John? You can tell him yourself," he spat, throwing his walls up.

John shuffled uncertainly and uncomfortably, knowing that Alex wasn't only mad at Thomas, he was confused about John's declaration. "Alex, I'm sorry," he whispered, standing up.

Thomas looked very confused. "What's happening?" he asked. Everyone looked away and Alex muttered something about telling him when they were alone.

Laf said, "If you feel alright, mon cousin, I need to move my car and you need to get off the road." Thomas nodded and Laf picked him up with some difficulty.

He staggered to the sidewalk, placing Thomas into Herc's arms gently. Hercules turned to Alex and John and asked where they wanted him. John looked away and Alex just said, "My room."

John tried to not go with Alex, Herc, and Thomas, but Thomas caught his sleeve and begged him with a look to come with them. He sighed and trailed up the stairs behind the trio miserably.

Herc set Thomas down on the bed and told them to yell if he wanted to be moved, to which Alex nodded wordlessly. The bear of a man left, clapping John on the shoulder as he passed. Good luck was what that pat had meant, John knew.

Alex sat down next to Thomas on the bed, and Thomas gestured for John to join them. He perched tentatively on the edge, while Thomas pulled Alex into his side.

"Come closer John," he pleaded. "I want both of you." John raised an eyebrow at Thomas's words and the taller man blushed. "I didn't mean it like that," he argued weakly.

John sighed, but complied. (Oh god, I've started rhyming) Thomas pulled him as close to his side as Alex was. "Now then, are you two going to tell me what happened while I was unconscious, or am I just going to have to figure it out by myself?" he inquired.

Alex looked at John, blushed, and looked away. "You tell him," he mumbled, fidgeting with his fingers. John sent him an incredulous look.

But he started anyway because he couldn't deny Alex anything. "Well, you shoved me out the way, fainted, Alex came running out, claimed that it was all my fault, Laf argued that it wasn't my fault it was his, I got annoyed and yelled at Alex when he didn't stop yelling at me, nearly ran off, Alex antagonized me into telling him I'm in love with him, Laf told us you weren't dead, just unconscious, you woke up," he summarised.

Alex looked guilty as Thomas turned to glare at him a little. John continued, "However, what I didn't tell him about was that I recently came to a realization." Thomas sent him an encouraging look and John braced himself. "I'm not just gay, I'm poly, and that's made everything both better and worse," he explained.

Thomas nodded. "Can you explain what you mean by both better and worse?" he asked gently and John nodded back.

"Yeah. It makes it better because it means that I'm not trying to split up the best couple I know, and it makes it worse because it rationalized the feelings I have for another person," he told Thomas and Alex.

Thomas smiled reassuringly. "Elaborate?" he requested, and John nodded again.

"Yeah, sure. So, y'all know I have feelings for Alex now, but he's not the only person in this room." Thomas gasped and raised an eyebrow.

"You mean...?" he trailed off and pointed at himself. "Me? Really? Why? I'm just Alex's boyfriend, I'm just secondary," he frowned.

John took Thomas's hands gently in his and felt a thrill of delight when he didn't pull away. "Not to me you're not," he whispered, looking into Thomas's deep brown eyes earnestly. "You're not secondary to Alex either, he loves you more than life itself."

John's tone held the tiniest fragment of bitterness, but he ignored it and squeezed Thomas's hands once before letting go. "Anyway, that was a lot to process and I'm sure you'd like to talk, now that you're both caught up. Have fun," he said, starting to stand up.

Thomas moved so fast he felt dizzy. "No!" he yelped, and he saw John's eyebrows raise almost comically. "Please stay, let's talk about this together," he begged, looking over his shoulder at Alex so that he knew he should stay too.

Alex sighed but nodded, still struggling to look at John. John blinked and let Thomas draw him back into his place against the taller. Alex was pulled into a similar position on the other side of Thomas and John chuckled awkwardly.

"As nice as it is to be here, this isn't the ideal position for a three-way conversation," he said lightly. Thomas blushed and let him go, allowing him to sit up and face the two of them.

"Do you want us to separate?" Alex asked the first thing he'd said in a while.

John shook his head. "No, you guys are fine, I just wanted to be able to see you both for this," he explained. Thomas nodded, pulling Alex into his lap.

"Okay, shoot, Thomas," Alex said. Thomas sent him a blank look and he huffed. "You were the one who wanted to have this talk. Of course, you should lead it."

Thomas looked to John for help, but he just shrugged. "He has a point," he admitted. Thomas pouted, making John laugh quietly, which in turn made Thomas light up.

"Well, you have feelings for us," he said to John, who nodded slowly, avoiding their eyes with a blush. "Okay. Do you think that you could ever see yourself fitting into our relationship? Do either of you ever see John fitting into our relationship?"

John gulped and looked at Alex to gauge his reaction before he answered. "I'm not sure, you guys already have such a good thing going, and I don't want to get in the way of that," he replied truthfully. "Also, I think that you guys should talk before having this conversation with me."

Alex nodded a little. "Yeah, I agree. I mean, don't get me wrong John, I like you, you're my best friend, and I can see you fitting into our relationship pretty well. But I need to get my head around the fact that you have feelings for me and sort out whether or not I could ever feel like that towards you," he explained.

John nodded understandingly. "I'll leave you to it?" he suggested, and after an exchanged look, Alex and Thomas nodded, albeit reluctantly.