Chapter Twenty Eight

Thomas pulled Alex closer as they stood in front of his older brother's house. "Hey," he said, trying to distract him. "I love you."

Alex froze for a minute, running over all their previous interactions in his head and thinking about all the time Thomas had told him he loved him and he hadn't said it back. "I love you too," he said quietly.

Thomas smiled and captured his boyfriend's lips in a kiss, pulling him so close that there was no space between him. When Eliza cleared her throat and Thomas went to pull away awkwardly, Alex pulled him back down, ignoring his sister.

Eliza groaned. "You guys, we don't have time for this. I need y'all to focus. The others will be in position any second," she snapped, glancing nervously towards her front door.

Alex pulled away regretfully. "Fine. How are we looking?" he asked, his full attention now on the Schuyler's front door.

After what felt like forever, John and Peggy approached the door casually, talking about a random thing that wasn't important to Alex.

The couple opened the door and glanced at the trio's hiding spot. Then the two went in, acting as though everything was normal.

Alex activated the radio he held, saying, "John keep us posted," in a low tone. There was no reply but Alex could hear them calling out for "Alex".

"Alex" stormed out of his room, yelling for Real Alex. "Where is he, asshole? Where the fuck is my brother?" he screamed, probably at John. Alex flinched back at the sound.

Peggy started screaming back, asking him, "Why the fuck do you want to see James? What is wrong with you? We're trying to keep you safe."

"Alex" immediately assumed that Peggy didn't know and, from the confused expression they'd practiced with John for hours that was hopefully on his face, he would assume that John didn't know either.

"Oh, uh, sorry. I'm not sure what came over me Peggy, it won't happen again," he "apologised".

Peggy didn't say anything, just walked upstairs, John following her.

Eliza, Thomas and Alex heard a door shut and then John's low voice came over the radio thing, saying, "You guys heard all that right?"

Alex told him that they had and that they were ready to begin stage 2 of the plan whenever the inside couple were ready.

There was a slight hesitation and then Peggy said, "We're ready." Alex nodded to the rest of his team and they walked towards the door, starting to talk and laugh like they'd been talking for a while.

Alex picked up his phone and shot a text off to James Madison.

A.Ham - Thomas and Eliza are heading in

J.Mad - ok, I'll be there in five
    imma bring Michael if that's ok

A.Ham - Yeah that's fine see you soon

J.Mad - Sys

Alex leaned back against a tree, sighing. He glanced at his sister and Thomas, the latter looking back at him briefly to smile reassuringly at Alex.

Alexander took a deep breath and waited. James and Michael showed up seconds later. "Hey Lex, sorry we took so long," James apologised.

"It's cool you guys, I haven't been waiting long," he replied, already tuning his earpiece that was connected to Thomas's radio. "Tom, can you hear me?" he whispered.

There was a short static sound before Thomas breathed back, "Yeah. We're in." Alex visibly relaxed at his words.

They heard the rough sound of someone shoving the radio into their pocket and all went silent. "Tommy, it's so good to see you," James said, his voice so fake it made Alex cringe.

"Hey Alex, nice to see you too. I missed you," Thomas lied. Alex could easily picture his boyfriend's face twisted into a fake smile, grimacing whenever James couldn't see his face.

The three waiting outside heard the crinkle of clothes being pushed together and the rummaging sound of the radio being pulled out of Thomas's pocket. Alex's lips silently formed the words, "Oh shit."

"Hey there little brother," James cooed into the radio. "Why don't you come inside for a nice little-" Alex distantly heard Thomas yelp "-chat?" he asked.

"Alex, Alex, no! Don't come in, run as far away as you can! Please just get away," Thomas yelled, starting to sob towards the end of the sentence. Alex jerked forward, about to rip out his earpiece when James said one more thing.

"If you care an ounce about your "friends", then you'll call this stupid mission off. I'll let them all go free, all you have to do is call off the mission and come inside," he said, his smooth voice oddly threatening.

Alex slowly picked up his radio that connected to everyone else's and said nimbly, "Go home you guys, this is over. We don't you after all."

Then he handed the radio to James and said, "You two should go on your date. I hope you have fun." James reached out for Alex, whispering his name desperately.

But Alex ignored him, walking towards his house, walking towards his brother. When he walked through the door, the first thing he saw was Thomas and James.

His older brother was holding Thomas tight against him with one hand pulling his hair hard, probably what had been iliciting his yelps and screeches over the radio.

"Let him go," Alex said, swallowing back all his hatred and anger and forcing his voice to come out slightly nicer than it would have otherwise.

James simply pushed Thomas towards his little brother. "Sure, he was only bait anyway," he giggled. Alex pulled his boyfriend into a hug before quickly checking him all over to see if he was injured in anyway.

"I'm fine Lexi I promise," Thomas said, taking Alexander's small hands in his. Alex just collapsed against him in relief and Thomas hugged him back.

It took Alex a minute to build up the strength to face his brother but when he finally did turn on him, he was a blazing mass of rage. "Stay the fuck away from my friends and my family or I swear to GOD James, I will get a restraining order. I don't mind coming to visit you in Florida every so often but please just leave my friends out of this," he said, starting to plead a little towards the end of his order.

James sighed. "I'm sorry about all this Alex. I know it's a lot to ask but can we sort out arrangements for when you can come and visit me? I get now that ruining your life wasn't going to convince you to move with me anymore than killing you and dragging your dead body would," he said.

"We'll talk it out later with my legal guardian and I'm sure we'll come up with something," Alex agreed. James turned to leave. "Oh, and James?" Said man turned at his brothers words. "I love you," Alex admitted.

James broke into a smile. "I love you too," he replied before walking out of the Schuyler's forever.

~
Damn it can't just be me that's glad that little sub-plot's over.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update, I had serious writer's block when it came to finishing this (sub-plot) off so I kept procrastinating.

But now I promise that I will upload some fluffy chapters for each of the couples this week because they all deserve breaks.

See you soon