Chapter Sixteen

Alex walked into his house, feeling lighter than he had five minutes ago when he had stopped and had a whole fucking internal monologues with himself. "Hey guys, I'm back," he called, waiting for a response from his sisters. 

Peggy was the first to appear, sliding down the banister. "Hey Lexi," she greeted him cheerfully, running up to him and giving him a massive hug.

"Margarita Schuyler, how many times have I told you not to slide down the bannisters?! You'll hurt yourself. Hi Lex," Angelica yelled, quieting down to address Alexander. 

"Angelica, she's fine. She's never hurt herself before," Eliza slipped in, always the pacifist. "Hello Alexander." Alex smiled at his sisters as they bickered, simply watching. 

"What'd I miss?" he asked, casually inserting himself into the conversation. 

"Well," Peggy started, "After you and Thomas went off together, AlOnE, and we want details by the way, Eliza and Maria came out and told us that they were dating and we all sorta went mad. Then John took me on a date and I missed the rest of it." She shrugged, obviously not caring. 

Angelica jumped in, "When John took Peggy on her date, which we also want details on, Maria and Eliza were being kinda gross and doing coupley shit which is completely unfair since they's only just started dating, and so I started hanging out with John Adams, James, Charles and Samuel and they were pretty cool guys. Herc, Laf, Washington and George were also doing coupley shit so that was awkward."

Eliza took over. "Angelica and those guys were all kinda just talking and all the couples apart from Lee and Seabury were, I quote, 'doing coupley shit' so that was that," she finished. Alex blinked a couple of times.

"Wow. That sounds... interesting," he said slowly. The other three laughed. 

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Tell us about your day with Thomas, Alex!" Peggy demanded excitedly. Alex chuckled at his sisters' enthusiasm. 

"Ok, ok. It wasn't very interesting. We just got coffee, avoided Thomas's ex and went to the park," Alex said, listing the three things off on his fingers. "Oh, and we talked for ages."

"Waitwaitwaitwait. 'Avoided Thomas's ex'? What?" Peggy asked, putting up a hand to stop everyone talking. 

"Um, yeah? Reynolds was at the coffee shop with his girlfriend while we were getting coffee. We just avoided him," he explained. 

"Oh, ok. Next up is Eliza! What happened between you and Maria?" Peggy asked her sister, eager for details.

Eliza blushed loudly, looking away from her three siblings. "Oh, that? Nothing. It'll just bore you," she tried to say. The other three simply raised their eyebrows, not looking impressed at their sister's attempt to stall.

She huffed out a breath. "Fine. So, obviously, Alex said some really, erm how do I phrase this? Motivational," she said, sarcasm flowing freely through the word, "Stuff. So I, y'know, took her aside and asked to speak to her and she complied. And then I just sorta rambled on and on about my feelings for her and to shut me up she kissed me. It was kinda awkward, but perfect too."

Eliza  sighed, a look of pure bliss on her face. Peggy, the most impatient of the Schuyler siblings, snapped her fingers in front of the older girl's face. "Hello? Then what?" she demanded, making Angelica frown at her.

Eliza came back down to Earth with a thud. "Then I asked her if she wanted to go on a date, she said yes and we came back to you guys," she said, quickly drifting off into Maria-land again. 

Alex shuddered and walked away. "I'm just going to go up to my room," he said, quickly making his escape. None of his sisters argued or told him to stay put, so Alex got away to safety without having to make any excuses. 

He walked into his bedroom, heaving out a sigh of relief when he was alone. Alex shut and leaned against the door, sliding down it as he thought about Thomas. Perfect, freakin' Thomas. 

However, thinking about Thomas also made him think about Thomas's best friend and shadow, James Madison. Alex couldn't help but frown at the thought of his recent ex. The two were still friends, they were too close to have just cut off contact with each other entirely.

He whipped out his phone and started texting James. 

A.Ham - Yo, James, emergency.

J.Mad - alex? 
 what's up?

A.Ham - I think I might be falling for Thomas.

There was a pause on the other end. Then:

J.Mad - ok?
what about it?

A.Ham - I don't know what to do.
I mean, if I fall in love with him, will he leave too?

J.Mad - about that... I'm sorry that I broke up with you
it was a really bad time and I hurt you
I'm sorry

A.Ham - It's alright James
I just hope you find someone who makes you happy

J.Mad - but you did make me happy, it's just that...

A.Ham - ...?

J.Mad - well, you were falling for Thomas, Thomas was falling for you and I was falling for Michael and it just wasn't fair to anyone anymore

Alex paused before answering. Who the hell was Michael? He asked:

A.Ham - Who's Michael?

J.Mad - a boy me and Thomas met the other night when he was upset about James and we were hanging out....

A.Ham - Cool
If he hurts you though, just gimme a shout and I'll come and fucking rip his head off

Alex pictured James's tentative little smile at his over-protectiveness. 

J.Mad - I don't think any killing will be necessary Lex
he doesn't even know that I have feelings fir him
*for

A.Ham - James, Imma tell you the same thing I told Eliza
Get that motherfucker before someone else does and you're left heartbroken forever

J.Mad - ...
you told ELIZA that?

Alex smirked as he remembered the look of shock on Eliza's face as she realised he was right. He counted under his breath, "Three, two, one..." His phone chimed with a new message from James. 

J.Mad - holy shit you're right
I need to tell him that I like him before Jeremy and Christine break up

A.Ham - ???

J.Mad - he kinda has a crush on his best friend who's probably straight and has a girlfriend
but if Jeremy and Christine break up, then Michael might have a chance and seize it the way that I'm not
and you're not

A.Ham - Wait, what does any of this have to do with me?

J.Mad - Alex, Thomas is a very patient person, especially when it comes to those he loves
but he won't wait forever
if another, more available or likely option shows up, there's a high chance that he'll settle for them and then it'll be too late for you
and you'll have thrown away your shot

A.Ham - I am not throwing away my shot
You said he's patient?
It's only been a couple of days since he became single
I'll talk to him tomorrow, I promise

J.Mad - good for you!
if you want, I can keep the rest of the gang away from the two of you while you tell him?

A.Ham - Thanks Jamie
You're the best

J.Mad - I know Alex
I know

~

Hi! I should've updated this on Saturday but stuff came up and then I should've updated yesterday but stuff came up so I decided to just update today and life would be all rainbows and butterflies! Yeah, no. Ok, Saturday I really was busy. Sunday I just couldn't be bothered updating and Monday my period came and I wasn't doing any shit, not even school shit. And yesterday I was just dead inside and didn't do anything apart from watch Doctor Who again so... yeah. Sorry!