Chapter Fifty Seven

Considering how sad John had been the last time he was in the Laurens family home, Henry Laurens was quite surprised to see his son back. He was even more surprised when he was informed that it was for good.

"Are you sure?" he asked anxiously. "Because if you're just coming back because you feel like you have an obligation to the family then I will kick you out."

John laughed and set his bags down on the space just inside the door. "Don't worry Father," he replied. "I've returned of my own accord."

Henry's face furrowed into a frown. "Alexander didn't kick you out, did he?" he asked, his voice suddenly deep. "Because if he did, he is going to have hell to pay."

"What? No, no, Alex didn't kick me out!" John rushed to assure his father. "The younger Schuyler siblings came to spend the rest of the summer with their dad so I figured it was best for everyone if I left, given our track history."

Eyes softening, Henry clapped a hand on his eldest son's shoulder. "Well, it's good to have you home," he admitted. "Also, how up for babysitting would you be?"

John's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Why?" he asked. "I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to watch them for a weekend if that's something you'd want, but why?"

Henry started fidgeting with his hands like a scolded schoolboy. "Well, some friends asked me to spend some time with them to get out of the house," he explained. "I wasn't gonna go because I didn't want you to feel obligated to come back, but since you're here..."

Smiling, John nodded. "You should go, Dad," he said earnestly. "I'll see if Alex and Thomas are up for looking after them with me. I might ask Thomas if we can spend the day at his house. Some of his siblings are close in age to Henry, Marty, and Mary."

"Yes, that sounds good," Henry approved. "Then you also get to spend time with your friends and don't have to worry about the three of you drifting apart."

John's smile slipped a little, but he tugged it back up before his dad could notice. "Yeah," he agreed. "Anyway, I'm gonna go up to my room, bye."

As he left, one thought was playing through John's mind: What if Alex and Thomas got sick of him now that they weren't living together?

~Time skip~

John waved goodbye to his father and hitched Mary higher up on his waist. "Now, Alex and Thomas are gonna be here with Alex's siblings soon," he said, turning around. "I forgot that Dad was friends with their dads and that the three of them are going out today."

Martha piped up, "Where are we gonna go? What are we gonna do? How many of us are there in total?"

Doing a quick mental tally, John answered, "There are going to be fourteen of us including me, Thomas, and Alex. We're either gonna go to Thomas's house cause it's the biggest, or go to the park, and I don't know what we're going to do."

'Well,' John thought, 'I don't know what you're gonna do. I'm gonna talk to my boyfriends and make sure that they're still happy with me.'

The doorbell rang and John opened the door, trying and failing to smile at Thomas and Alex. "Hey," he said. "Y'all ready to go?" he asked his siblings. They all nodded. Henry pulled his headphones over his ears and shot John a thumbs up.

John Schuyler, who was also wearing headphones, lit up when he saw someone who looked close to his age and he walked over to Henry. The two boys walked together in silence as the two families walked to Thomas's home.

Thomas, Alex, and John walked behind their siblings to ensure no one got left behind. Mary, Catherine, and Cornelia had hit it off and were walking together hand in hand, talking about things no one else cared about.

"I know it's only been a week, but how have you been?" Alex asked his boyfriend, secretively taking his hand.

John smiled weakly and tugged his hand out of Alex's grasp. "Don't want to risk it," he lied. "Um, yeah, I've been fine. Been better, been worse, missed you guys," he admitted, cringing.

'Way to go, John,' he sarked at himself. 'Now they know how clingy you are.' But instead of getting mad, Thomas just cooed and hugged him with one arm in a way that could be played off as platonic.

"Missed you too, John," he confessed. "It's harder to sleep at night with only Alex. I'm so close to asked Peggy to come to share a bed with us."

John faked a smile, mentally cursing how quick Thomas would be to replace him. And with his ex-girlfriend no less! "Yeah, I've been sleeping with Henry most nights," he told them in a low voice. "He keeps waking up with nightmares. Vaguely reminds me of you, Alex," he teased.

Alex shoved him light-heartedly. "Shut up, you know I'm sensitive about that," he joked. John forced a smile, but on the inside, he was panicking.

'Oh god, oh god, what if he's actually sensitive about that?' he asked himself worriedly.

Thomas looked at his boyfriend strangely. "Is everything okay, John?" he asked suddenly. John jumped and nodded quickly, praying that Thomas would drop the matter.

Alex peered closer at John. "You do look a bit peaky," he admitted. "If you wanted to leave Henry, Martha, and Mary at Thomas's and head home for a rest, then we'd be fine with that."

Panicking, John shook his head frantically. "No, no, I'm fine," he insisted. "I just didn't get enough sleep last night, I was too excited to see you." Alex and Thomas looked doubtful.

"Okay then," Thomas gave in reluctantly. "But my room's always open if you want to go have a lie down away from everyone." John nodded, a fake smile on his lips.

Thomas wrapped an arm around John's waist, not giving him any room to wriggle away. "When we get to mine we're going to talk about what's bothering you," he breathed in John's ear.

John freaked out. "No, no, nothing's bothering me," he forced out. "You guys don't need to worry about me, I don't want you to feel obligated to care about me."

"Wait, what?" Thomas asked, confused. "I don't feel obligated to care about you."

Face paling, John came to a realisation. "Oh," he said quietly, trying not to cry. "I see. You know, you're right, I am a bit tired, is that offer of your room still up for grabs?"

Thomas nodded, confused. "Great," John muttered, walking ahead with Martha.

Alex appeared at Thomas's side. "He alright?" he asked. Thomas shrugged, watching his boyfriend worriedly.

"I don't know," he murmured. "I really don't know."

~

The end of this is highly unedited but oh well. Its also late and now I'm behind on this story :( but it's fine.