Chapter Ten

John gasped. "Your brother? But this is awesome Alex! You have to meet up with him." 

Alex bit his lip, staring down at the ground. "Alex? What's wrong? I would've thought you'd be happy about this," John said, touching his friend's shoulder. 

Alex shrugged him off. "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's alive and all," Alex started. "But he couldn't really have picked a worse time to show up." 

John looked at him curiously. "You see, I'm going through a load of shit right now and me and my brother weren't exactly on the best of terms. Our dad always preferred him and our mom always preferred me so we kinda hated each other for that. And he used to bully me and stuff and I'm honestly super happy with three sisters. I don't need my brother anymore." 

John nodded thoughtfully. "I can see where you're coming from," he admitted. "And from what I've heard, your childhood was pretty rough. Your brother would just spark up memories and I don't really think that would be appreciated." 

Alex nodded in agreement. "But, Alex. He's your only blood family. That itself is pretty awesome. You thought that they were all dead," John pointed out.

"Well, yeah, but what about how he's decided that now that we've been joyfully reunited, he wants me to move to Florida with him?" John gasped in horror. 

"He's living in Florida?! That's states away! I can't lose you Alex, we already had this talk!" Alex almost laughed at John's dismay.

"I don't think he has the legal right to make me come and live with him," he said. "But, he can ask. And I'm scared John. My life, it's here now. I don't want to uproot everything just to live with someone that I haven't seen in over two years."

John still looked scared but nodded, his expression hard and determined.

"The Schuylers have adopted you, right?"

Alex nodded slowly. "Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?" he questioned. John smirked.

"Legally, because you're adopted, you're a member of the Schuyler family. It would take a heck of a lot for your brother to convince the court to hand you over to him. Also, you're old enough to be asked who you'd rather stay with, the same way as in custody fights." 

At Alex's confused look, John explained, "If two parents are fighting over custody and the child is deemed old enough, the court can ask them who they'd rather stay with. It's not entirely up to the child, but sometimes the child's choice makes all the difference."

"How do you know all this stuff?" Alex asked. John smiled. 

"My dad's a lawyer and he taught me a bunch of stuff about it," he said. 

"Ohh, ok. That's pretty cool. I've thought about becoming a lawyer. But there's a million options out there. I'm still not quite sure what to do with my life," Alex admitted. 

"Don't sweat Alex. I guess this is the first time you've had this many options, huh?" John said. Alex nodded sheepishly. 

"Well, you don't need to worry about that right now," John told him comfortingly. "However, you need to tell the others about James. They deserve to know." 

Alex looked nervous. "John, I don't know. I don't really want to worry them. And Jamie, I don't want to lose him." John touched his friend's shoulder lightly.

"Don't worry Lex. Even if you and James break up, you'll still have us. And I'm sure you two would stay friends, right? I mean, I doubt you would opt to lose each other entirely; you're too close for that," he told him. 

"Lets, lets just head back. I need to tell them. I'll just, break it to them slowly. I'll tell my sisters first. Then Jamie, then the rest. You were right, John, I have to tell them," Alex said, his reserve as solid as steel.

"Ok."

Alexander and John walked back towards James and Thomas, who were still standing slightly apart from the group, exactly where they left them. James started towards Alex, desperate to check on him. 

Alex stopped him and said, "I have to talk to my sisters for a moment, Jamie. Then can I talk to you alone?" James looked confused and a little hurt but nodded.

Alex offered him a tiny smile and walked over to his sisters and gestured away from the others. The four stepped away and grouped together in a small huddle. After Alex spoke for a while, the Schuylers all hugged Alex. 

When Alex finally managed to wriggle out of their embrace and make his way over to James, the bell rang and Alex glared at it. "I'll talk to you at lunch, ok?" he called as he rushed off to his class, Thomas right behind him. James nodded and walked towards his class.

~Time Skip~ 

When the bell rang, signifying the start of lunch, Alex shot out of his seat and towards James's classroom, Thomas right behind him. When James stepped out, talking to Charles and Samuel, he saw his boyfriend and best friend waiting for him, he smiled at his friends and left them.

"So, Alex, what was it you wanted to talk to me about? Um, there's also something I want to talk to you about," James said as the three walked along. 

Thomas quickly asked, "Do you guys want me to go? Because I can totally give you two some space if you need it-"

"NO!" the couple yelled at him in unison.  

"I mean," Alex coughed, "I'm going to tell everyone later any way so it doesn't really matter if you stay or not."

"And, well, I, er, I just want you to stay," James admitted. 

Thomas reluctantly agreed to stay with his friends as they spoke. "So, Lex, you go first," James said nervously, wondering what this could be about. 

"Well, it's just that, my brother's alive and in America," he rushed out. James's eyes widened.

"Alex, that's great! We gotta celebrate!" he said, happy for him. 

"Yeah, I guess. But, he wants me to move to Florida and move with him," Alexander muttered. The light died in James's eyes and Thomas looked completely panicked.

"What?! You can't move to Florida! You just can't! No, we can't let this happen." Thomas kept talking and going on and on about how they were going to make sure that Alex stayed here with them. 

Meanwhile, James let out a choked sound and fell forward into Alex's arms, sobbing into his shoulder. "You can't go," he cried quietly. "You can't." Alex rubbed his back gently, trying to give him a little comfort. 

It took a while, but eventually the two boys calmed down and were rational again. James looked awkward and sad. "What did you want to talk to me about, Jamie?" Alex asked softly. James took a deep breath.

"Well, this is going to make me seem like a massive asshole, but," he paused to take a deep breath, "I want to break up."