Chapter Seventeen

The next day, Alex walked downstairs to get breakfast long before any of his sisters or his adoptive father were awake. He sat on the kitchen counter and stared at his phone as he waited for his toast to pop. 

He couldn't help but wonder what would happen when he asked Thomas out, or at least told him how he felt. Alex ate his toast absentmindedly as he continued to stare at his dark phone screen. 

Eventually, Eliza came down, still in her pyjamas and rubbing her eyes, yawning. "Morning Alex," she said sleepily, groping around in a cupboard for cereal. 

"Good morning Eliza, did you dream of Maria?" Alex asked, a sly grin on his face. Eliza blushed and hid behind her messy hair.

"No, you idiot, of course not! Why are you up so early?" she asked. "It's literally half past six Alex, how long have you been awake?"

Alex shrugged, looking at the clock. "An hour or so," he replied, "No biggie." Eliza groaned. 

"What the hell is wrong with you? Alex, you need more sleep than that," she said, walking to the fridge to grab milk. She began pouring it into her cereal, her eyes on Alex.

Alex held up a mug of coffee. "Not with this little wonder I don't," he argued, waving slightly. Eliza gagged at the scent. 

"How can you drink that?" she choked, putting the milk back in the fridge. "It looks and smells disgusting." 

Alex gasped in mock offence, putting a hand to his chest. "Elizabeth Schuyler, you're hurting my coffee's feelings. Say sorry," he fake ordered. Eliza laughed.

Wrinkling her nose and holding her breath, she leaned down to the coffee mug's level and said, "I sincerely apologise for dissing your friends and family. From now I will keep my opinions to myself lest I offend you again."

The two siblings looked at each other seriously for a moment before collapsing in laughter. "Ok, that was pretty funny," Alex said, wiping away a tear of mirth. "I should make you grovel more often," he teased.

Eliza rolled her eyes, her smile lingering on her face. "Yeah, yeah, whatever," she said, starting to eat her cereal. The two sat in the kitchen talking for another half hour until Eliza left to go shower and get ready for school. 

Alex took his phone out again and stared at it until a human hurricane entered the kitchen. "Hey Lexi!" Peggy said cheerfully, grabbing an apple as her dress swished around her knees.

"Morning Pegster," Alex greeted cheerfully. He slid his phone back into his pocket discreetly. Peggy took a bite of her apple before rushing around the kitchen, grabbing her school stuff that was scattered around the room. 

"How long you been up?" she asked, her mouth full of apple. Alex flinched as she sprayed some chewed up apple at him. "Oops! Sorry," she said, swallowing. 

"It's ok Pegs. And not long, I got up at half five," he shrugged, taking a sip of his third cup of coffee. Peggy gawked at him for a moment. 

"Alex, that was two hours ago. How are you not tired?" she asked incredulously. Alex held up his mug in response, downing the last of it. 

"I'm going to grab coffee from somewhere, probably Starbucks so I'm gonna need a lift. Is Angie nearly ready?" he asked, putting his mug in the dishwasher. 

"Angie's here," a voice said from the doorway. "I was just about to leave to grab coffee and food to go. You guys coming or ...?" she didn't bother finishing her sentence. Eliza darted through the door, tying her hair up in a braided ponytail.

In her had she held another hairtie and when he saw it, Alex sighed and turned around. "I think we're all going," he answered his oldest sister's question. "You're our ride to school anyway." Angelica hummed as Eliza stepped away from Alex in satisfaction.