Chapter Fifty Three

It had been a week since Eleanor Laurens' funeral and Alex had finally come up with something to cheer John up. He pulled Peggy aside and asked, "What's a musical John's always wanted to see?"

She thought about it for a moment. "I don't know, Beetlejuice?" she suggested. "Though if you're trying to cheer him up that's probably not the best idea-"

But Alex was already running down the hall, shrugging a jacket over his shoulders. "Thanks, Pegs, I owe you one!" he yelled.

John stuck his head out of Alex's door and sent Peggy a quizzical look. "What does he owe you for?" he asked. Thomas's head appeared over John's.

"What's he up to?" he wondered. Peggy shrugged hopelessly.

"I guess you'll find out," she tried. John sent her a doubtful look before retreating into his boyfriend's room. Thomas glared suspiciously down the hall after Alex for a moment before following his boyfriend.

John was lying on Alex's bed, staring up at the ceiling. "I wonder what he's doing," he said. 

Thomas shrugged walking to the bed and curling up next to him. "I have no idea," he admitted, drawing circles on his shoulder with his finger. "But he's not here and I am and I want you to love me," he whined.

John chuckled rolling over so that he was on top of Thomas. "Is that so?" he teased, and Alex's bizarre mission was pushed out of their minds.

(For anyone wondering, John is still sad most of the time, but he pushes it away when he's alone with Alex or Thomas or both because he doesn't want to stress them out)

~Time Skip~

A week went by since Alex's bizarre escapade, and John and Thomas had all but forgotten about it. So needless to say, they were quite surprised when he insisted that they both dress up (but not fancy or anything, just in not pajamas) because he was taking them out on a date.

John had just shrugged and gone with it, not really caring either way. Thomas however, narrowed his eyes at Alex and asked, "What are you playing at?" 

Alex feigned ignorance and replied, "I'm sure I don't know what you mean." Thomas scoffed and started getting dressed. 

Alex bounced excitedly on the balls of his feet. When Thomas was finally ready to go, he grabbed both of his boyfriends' hands and pulled them towards the door. "Y'all cool with the subway, right?" he checked anxiously.

John nodded, a small smile making its way onto his face at Alex's antics. Thomas nodded as well, still suspicious. 

"Where are you taking us?" he asked Alex in a murmur when John left to go say bye to Peggy. 

Alex looked around furtively before whispering back, "We're going to see a musical on Broadway." Thomas gasped. "I figured that John would enjoy it, considering how Peggy got him hooked on musicals."

Thomas awwed, all his nerves vanquished. "That's sweet of you Alex," he cooed. Alex fidgeted and looked uncomfortable. 

"Just don't like seeing him sad," he confessed. Thomas pulled him close and kissed his forehead. 

"I know baby boy, but Broadway tickets are mega expensive," he worried. Alex sent him a reassuring look. 

He replied, "I got them cheap off of someone online." Thomas laughed and John came back into the room. 

He smiled at his boyfriends and Alex bounced over to him, excited. "You ready to go?" he asked quickly. John nodded.

Alex led them to the nearest subway station and they waited for a train to come along. John was bouncing lightly in his seat and Alex sat on his lap to make him stay still.