Chapter Thirty Four

Thomas opened the door and stepped into his house. It was near silent and he found himself sighing. It had taken him months to admit to himself that his parents were having marital problems, and now that he had home was just that much harder to go home to.

"Mom, Dad, I'm back!" he called, trying to fill the silence. His only reply was sniffling and muffled cries coming from the sitting room. "Dad? Mom?" Thomas could hear the panic and fear starting to creep into his voice.

He peered around the door, dreading what he'd see. It was worse than he'd thought. Peter Jefferson, the strongest man Thomas had ever known, was curled in a ball on the sofa, sobbing into a pillow.

"Papa? What happened?" Thomas knew he sounded the same he did as a six year old, the first time he saw his father cry. He had been too young to understand that his little brother Peter Field had died. The same happened two years later when his parents lost Peter Jefferson Jr. the second.

Peter Jefferson looked up at his oldest son out of red-rimmed eyes and started crying anew. "She left us, son," he sobbed, "She left us." It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who he was talking about.

"What? Why? Where did she go? Why?" Thomas's voice was getting higher and more frantic with every question and he was on the verge of tears. "Dad, Dad, I'm gonna call my boyfriend, okay? I'll see if he can come over."

Alex picked up immediately. "Thomas, what's wrong? I'm coming back to your place right now because I can hear your breathing and I know that you're gonna start crying. Hold tight, I love you," he garbled out before hanging up.

Mere seconds later, the doorbell rang. Thomas opened it and found a red-faced and panting Alex at the door. "Came as soon as I heard," he huffed. Thomas let out a wet laugh.

"Thank you for coming," he choked out before breaking down. Alex just wrapped his arms around his boyfriend and just stood there, holding him.

"It's going to be alright, just let it all out. We'll make it through this, I swear we'll be okay. Shh, it's alright to cry, let's just get it all out of your system just now, yeah? Shh, I'm here, I'm here," Alex soothed.

"Now, how about we go inside and sit down?"

~

"Hello Mr Jefferson, this is not how I envisioned us meeting, but it's a pleasure anyway. I'm Alexander Hamilton, Thomas's boyfriend. I hope to get to know you better in the future under better circumstances," Alex introduced himself, sticking out a hand which Mr Jefferson shook.

Peter smiled a tiny bit. "Please Alexander, call me Peter," he replied. Alex flinched and his smile faltered a little for a moment, but then it was back in place as brilliant as ever.

Thomas sat down, pulling his boyfriend into his lap and rocking him as though Alex was the one in need of comfort. "So, I know that this technically has nothing to do with me, but as the person least clouded by emotions, I think I should take lead. Do you mind?" Alex questioned.

Peter shook his head and sat down in his armchair. "Not at all. You're a smart man, Mr Hamilton, and you're the least emotionally attached person to the issue in question, so I have no issue with you leading on this interview," he said, settling back.

Alex sat up straight on Thomas's lap and reached into his backpack that he'd totally always had to pull out his laptop. "Ok, what happened? I mean, it must be pretty big for Thomas to have called me almost directly after we parted," he explained, already ready to take notes to analyse later.

"So, ever since we lost two of our boys in infancy to yellow fever-" Again, Alex flinched for seemingly no reason "-Jane and I have been, struggling, with our marriage. We managed to get ourselves together for a while, for the kids, you know.