Chapter Fifty Five

Alex bounced out of bed with an excited squeal and Thomas and John both groaned at him. He stuck his tongue out at them as he got dressed quickly.

John kissed Thomas's cheek before slipping out of bed and wrapping an arm around Alex's waist. "Come back to bed, that would be enough," he mumbled tiredly. 

"Enough for what?" Alex chuckled. 

John groaned, his brain not being able to keep up. "Enough to make up for some wrongdoing that's gonna happen one day," he promised.

Alex laughed. "As much as I'd love to be able to hold you for that, I can't. The other Schuyler siblings are coming to stay for the rest of the summer and I just can't wait," he explained.

Thomas shot up in bed and he and John exchanged a panicked look. "We might head out for the day then," John tried to say casually. "Let you meet them for the first time and that bullshit."

Alex narrowed his eyes at them. "What are you not telling me?" he asked suspiciously.

Thomas laughed nervously. "Nothing! We're not hiding anything! You know everything! What is there to tell?" he rambled.

John face-palmed. "The other Schuylers terrify us a little," he explained. "They're all madder than Peggy and lowkey ready to commit arson at all times." 

Alex rolled his eyes, continuing to get dressed. "Well, you guys can go home if you want, but I want to meet the rest of my siblings," he told them.

Thomas and John both shuddered at the thought of going back to their respective homes. "Nah, it's fine, we'll stick around," Thomas allowed reluctantly. 

John nodded and then shook his head. "Nah, I'm sorry, but I'd rather hang out with my mom's corpse than be around them again," he admitted. "So I'm gonna go spend the day at the graveyard. If I'm not back by nine tonight then come find me."

Alex gaped at him. John had refused to go back to the cemetery since he'd buried his mom. "You hate my family that much, huh?" he checked. 

John shrugged, already dressing and shoving his art supplies into his bag. "I don't hate them, but I don't want to spend the day with them," he informed him. "I'll do it if I have to, but given the option, I'm gonna leave."

He finished packing up and strode out of the room, fully dressed. Alex stared after him for a moment before following him. Thomas groaned before getting out of bed and going after his boyfriends.

Alex cornered John in the kitchen. "Hey! You can't just say shit like that and expect to just walk away like nothing's wrong!" he told him aggressively.

John held his hands up defensively. "Look, I wasn't trying to offend you, I just don't like the younger Schuyler siblings very much. They don't like me either!" he defended.

"Oh, so now you're going to blame your feelings of animosity towards my adoptive siblings on them?" he scoffed.

John shrunk a little. "That's not what I'm trying to do," he whispered helplessly, tears pooling in his eyes. Thomas noticed and, unfortunately, so did Alex.

He fake-pouted, mocking John. "Oh, look, he's gonna cry," he mimicked John's tone. 

Thomas put a hand on Alex's shoulder, glaring at him. "That's enough," he ordered. "Go back to your room Alexander, I'll be there in a minute."

Alex opened his mouth to argue, but Thomas sent him a steely look and he shut his mouth, stalking back upstairs furiously. Thomas turned to John, who had melted into a tiny ball on the floor and was rocking back and forth with his hands over his ears.