Chapter One

It was Alexander's first day at his new high school. He wouldn't say that he was nervous, this was what he had always wanted. The only issue he had was the fact that he wasn't good with people. Like, really not good with people. 

He stared out of the car window as it cruised through the streets of New York. His oldest adoptive sister, Angelica Schuyler, glanced at him through her rearview mirror. "Hey, Lexi, you ok?" she asked. 

Alex nodded distractedly. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine," he answered. Angelica frowned but took his word for it. 

Her sister, Eliza, tried to start a conversation to ease the awkwardness in the car. "Soo, Alex? Promise me that you'll point out any cute people you see today," she said, desperate to push away the heavy silence that lay over the car like a thick blanket. 

"Sure," he answered animatedly," But only if you help me get some friends." The third and youngest Schuyler, Peggy, burst out laughing. "Don't worry, Al. If that's all you're worried about, high school will be a breeze for you. And, trust me, you're really charismatic. They'll be tripping over themselves to be your friend." 

This made Alex crack a smile. The Schuyler sister shared a look. This was the best Alex had looked all day. Of course, it didn't help that today was the mark of five years since his mother's death. 

"You really think so?" Alex asked Peggy. 

"Definitely. They'll love you," she replied confidently. Relaxing into his seat, Alexander tried to imagine the people his adoptive sisters had told him about. 

Lafayette with his fluffy hair and strong French accent. Alex hoped that he might be able to get on well with the French immigrant because he spoke fluent French. Hercules Mulligan; the big teddy bear who always wore bandanas and/or beanie hats.

 And the innocent bean John Laurens. Peggy spoke of him so fondly with such a massive blush on her face that Alex found it difficult to believe that no one knew that she had a massive crush on the South Carolinian. 

Angelica, Eliza and Alex were forever teasing her about her infatuation with the boy. Then there were Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. Almost everyone thought that they were dating, the only exception being their close friends. 

The sisters had also mentioned that an Aaron Burr hung around with them often. He seemed quite like a recluse, the opposite of Alexander. "Hey, Alex? We're here," Angelica announced. 

Alex got out of the car and looked over his new school. It didn't seem too bad. "What do you think?" Eliza asked, getting out too and standing next to him. 

"I like it," he replied, surprising both of them.

"Angelica! Peggy! Eliza! Over here," yelled a loud voice. Alex looked over in the direction of the voice. 

A young man, about the same age as Alex and Eliza, stood there, waving his arms. Peggy instantly turned red, telling Alex that this was John Laurens. "Hey John." Angelica greeted the boy warmly. "Do you remember we told you about our new brother? Alex?" John turned to Alex who was currently trying to hide behind Eliza. 

With a huge smile he answered," Of course! Nice to meet you, dude!" Alex mumbled something incoherent, turning as red as Peggy. "Nice to meet you too," he muttered, barely loud enough to be heard. 

John grinned. "We'll get you out of your shell in no time, Lexi. Just you wait." Alex smiled at his new friend. Then John said, "Come on. Let's introduce Alex to the rest of the gang. Or most of it-" he frowned "-Thomas isn't here yet." 

Angelica glanced up from her phone. "Oh, Thomas won't be back before lunch. He has the 'doctors' this morning. At least," she frowned, "That's what the school think. He was at a party last night." 

A collective groan came from the small group. "Honestly? How much more immature can he get?" Eliza asked. In an effort to lift his friends spirits, Alex tried to put some enthusiasm into his words. 

"Come on! Introduce me to the rest of you!" he half-whined. John laughed, taking his arm. 

"Let's go then." They walked into the school. "Laf said that Herc, him, Madison and Burr'll meet us at the office so we can all get our new timetables," John explained. 

"Ok," Peggy answered, seeming to be the only one listening. As John engaged her in conversation, they stared at each other, both blushing and looking away if they caught the other's eye.

Alex walked with Eliza. "We so need to hook them up," he whispered. 

 "I know," she replied, "But Peggy would kill us."

 "And then she'd thank us," Angelica joined in, having put her phone away. "The only question is how?"

 Eliza groaned, "They've both been skirting around their feelings for each other for too long. This has to end." They all fell silent, trying to think of some way to set up Jeggy. 

"I don't know. You guys know them better than me anyway," Alex said, backing out.
 "Well, we'll have to discuss this later," Angie argued. "So you can help us. But right now, we're at the office. Time for you to meet the other idiots." 

Alex sniggered but Eliza looked horrified. "Angie they're our friends! How can you say that?" Under Eliza's fearsome glare, Angelica seemed to shrink. "Sorry, 'Liza," she mumbled. Eliza nodded, seemingly satisfied with her sister's answer.

"Laf, Herc, Maddy, Burr! Good to see you guys," John greeted them excitedly. A guy with a big, puffy ponytail looked up. 

"John, mon ami! And Angie, Eliza and Peggy! It 'as been too long," he said cheerfully. Then he saw Alex and asked, "Who are you?" 

A man with short cropped hair glanced up at him, frowning in confusion. "Yeah, who are you?" A third man (who looked an awful lot like the man Alex assumed was Hercules) gave him an uninterested look before echoing his friends' question. 

"The hell are you?" he asked, quite rudely. Angelica jumped in, answering for Alex. "Guys, this is our brother, Alexander. He's new, so be nice James." The Hercules without the bandana looked offended.

"Me? Not nice? Never!" he replied sarcastically.

"Ignore 'im, mon ami. 'E's always a pain in the ass when 'e's sick or when Thomas isn't 'ere to rein 'im in. In this case, both things are 'appening. I'm Lafayette, but most people call me Laf," the fluffy haired guy introduced himself. 

Alex gave him a shy smile and a small wave. "I'm Hercules Mulligan," a booming voice announced. The short haired guy with the bandana stepped forward and wrapped an arm around Lafayette who placed his head on his shoulder. 

"Nice to meet you both," Alex said, surprising himself when he didn't stutter. They smiled at him kindly. The only person who hadn't said anything stepped forward. "Aaron Burr. Pleasure to meet you."

The boy gave him a smile that Alex was almost positive was fake. "Pleasure's all mine," he answered politely. 

They exchanged a slightly more sincere smile briefly before the final, rude guy groaned, "I'm James, James Madison. I'd say it's nice to meet you, but I don't like lying." Alex raised an eyebrow at John. 

"We're on the same page then. Even if it's not in the same book," he replied. Madison burst out in a grin. 

"I like you," he decided. "Thomas will too." Confused, Alex turned to Angie for an explanation.

"Don't ask. He's the most contrary person you'll ever meet," she explained, meeting his puzzled gaze. Alex shook his head to clear it.

"It's nice to meet you all," Alex said quietly. John stepped forward, wrapping an arm around Alex. 

"Hey, Lexi? Wanna go grab coffee or something before class?" he asked. At the mention of coffee, Alexander's face lit up. "I'll take that as a yes then," John laughed, pulling him in the direction of the nearest coffee shop. Alex glanced back at his sisters and caught sight of Peggy's jealous face. He gulped. He knew he was in for hell later.

Umm hi! This is my first fanfic, so please don't judge how bad it is. However, I'm always up for constructive criticism so, yeah.