Chapter Three

When the trio arrived at their school, two of their friends, Laf and James, came running over. "Is he ok?" Laf asked worriedly. James examined his best friend's face. 

"I'm fine you guys. It's not like I didn't deserve it," Thomas mumbled. Laf looked like he was on the verge of tears and Alex turned away as James caressed Thomas's cheek. 

 "Thomas," James said weakly, "You don't deserve to be abused." Thomas started arguing, defending Reynolds's actions. Alex found that it was suddenly too hot and he needed away from Thomas. He grabbed John's sleeve and pointed in the direction of the Schuylers. 

They'd barely gone two steps before Thomas called them back. "Alexander?" he asked, his voice quavering. "I thought you said you'd help me?" 

Alex sighed, turning back to Thomas. "I think James and Laf have everything under control here. Why do you want me to stay?" Thomas's lip quivered as he tried not to burst into tears in front of his crush. 

"Alexander, please. Help," he begged. Alex walked back to him, squeezing John's arm lightly to tell him that he could go if he wanted. "How?" Alex asked tiredly. 

Thomas's eyes shone as he turned to James who launched into a very put out explanation on what he usually did to help Thomas. Alex, who listened extremely carefully, nodded when he was done. "So basically, you just stand here and tell him it's ok?" he checked. 

James nodded with a grin. "Yep, basically," he confirmed. Alex sighed and turned to Thomas who was avoiding his eyes. 

"Thomas, look at me," he said, in the gentlest voice he could. When Thomas's hurt filled eyes finally met his, he continued, "I know it hurts, I do. But you have to believe me; it's gonna be ok. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day, I promise you that this-" he gestured around them "-will all be ok." 

Thomas looked at him, hope in his eyes. "You mean it?" he whispered, grabbing Alex's arm. "It's going to be alright?" Alex only nodded, leaning his forehead against Thomas's. 

"One day, I swear," he murmured. The bell rang, jerking the two apart. Alex turned and walked away from Thomas. 

"Hey Alex? Your class is the other way," Thomas called. Without a word, Alex turned and walked in the opposite direction. Thomas groaned and chased after him. 

"Alexander, wait for me. I'm in your class. We may as well just go together," Thomas panted as he caught up to the smaller man. Alex studiously ignored him. 

Thomas frowned, "What's wrong?" Alex let out a bitter laugh. 

"'What's wrong?' What's wrong is that you're not being fair, Thomas. That's what's wrong," he snapped. "You're too damn perfect and innocent and I can't ever be good enough for you. Not like that matters," he added, "You're far too in love with your precious James," he spat the name out like it was acid, "To ever want me anyway." 

Thomas grabbed his arm, forcing Alex to look at him. "Didn't we literally have this conversation earlier? I do have feelings for you Alexander. I can't help who I love," Thomas hissed. Alex's eyes filled with hurt and acceptance. "Get off me," he demanded, shaking his hand from Thomas's tight grasp. 

"Hamilton, you say that as though you think I want to be touching you in the first place," he sneered, dropping Alexander's arm as though it was too hot to bear. 

Alex barely concealed his pain and frustration as he replied, "As if Jefferson." They straightened out their clothes, glaring at each other. And so, a new hatred sprung up between the two.

-Six Months Later-

It was as if Thomas and James had never been a part of their friend group. The Hamilsquad hated them, the whole of Jefferson's side. 

When Alex and Thomas fought for the first time, Alex's sisters obviously took his side. John had stood by Peggy, it didn't matter who he thought was in the right, he loved her and stuck by her through everything. 

Lafayette and Hercules had stayed true to their friend, even though it meant Laf had to separate himself from his cousin. Well, he didn't have to, he chose not to. Alex, who was now the leader of their little friend group, denied caring if anyone was friends with his enemies. It wasn't like he controlled them or their friendships. He himself remained close to James Madison. The only one he couldn't stand was his long time crush, Thomas Jefferson. 

Alex's side was made up of Hercules, Lafayette, Angelica, Eliza, John and Peggy. Thomas's side consisted of Madison, James Reynolds (who Thomas was still dating), Maria Lewis, Charles Lee, Samuel Seabury and John Adams. 

Aaron Burr stayed out of it for the most part; he frequently said that he was Switzerland. There were a couple of students in the year above the young rivals who also participated in the hatred shared. 

George Washington and "King" George were a famous gay couple in the school. But, because they had a strange relationship, they decided that they were going to take opposite sides in this somewhat strange war. 

Washington joined Alex and his friends and George took Thomas's side. Sometimes the strange eccentricities of George made the others think wistfully of how nice it must be to have Washington on your side. 

Washington had perfectly structured plans and when combined with Alex's unrivalled intelligence and writing skills, the villains in Hamilton's history found it almost impossible to beat the Hamilsquad. 

Some of the teachers in the school found it amusing to put Alex and Thomas next to each other in class and watch the chaos that emerged. Most of them though, simply rolled their eyes and groaned at the constant battling between the two. 

Only Thomas and Alex (and maybe John) knew why they were constantly arguing. And, although neither of them would ever admit it, they still felt feelings for each other. But they ignored these feelings for the time being. 

Thomas stayed with Reynolds and continued getting abused and Alex started dating Madison in secret. Everything was normal.