Chapter Two

John started talking to him. "So, you're the Schuyler's brother?" he checked. Alex confirmed it by nodding. "Cool. What's it like, living with them?"

"It's amazing. They're always really nice to me. Peggy confides in me, Angelica tried to take a bite of me this one time, but we're cool. And me and 'Liza are pretty close," he confided in John who wiggled his eyebrows.

"Oooo, feeling a little attraction to your sister? Damn," he teased. Alex turned scarlet.

"N-no. I don't like Eliza like that. I'm gay," he defended. John looked surprised.

"Another gay friend? Sweet. The only thing I worry about with having gay friends is, what if they're attracted to me? Like, that would totally ruin our relationship and be super awkward. It's fine with Laf and Herc because they're dating, but I always feel kinda weird around James and Thomas. James hasn't come out and if he does, he is totally gay for Thomas. But Thomas..." John didn't finish his sentence.

"Well," Alex grinned, "You'll be glad to know that I am not attracted to you in any way. But I know someone who is." Alex took his turn in waggling his eyebrows.

John turned to him, shocked. "You know someone likes me?" he asked, doubtingly. Alex nodded in reply. "Hell yeah, it's really obvious. You should totally ask her out," he said, confident in his plan.

"Who is it?" John asked. Alex sighed and mentally face-planted. How could people be so blind? "How can you not have noticed that Peggy's always staring at you!? I mean, your eyes haven't left her face all morning, so you must have noticed how she acts around you!" Alex quietly yelled.

John froze. "S-she actually likes me back?" John asked, his eyes aglow. Alex nodded fiercely. "Oh my gosh. I have to ask her out. I'll get her flowers and chocolate and, and her favourite coffee. I'm going to ask her out!" John practically screamed, having made up his mind. Alex encouraged him.

"Can you idiots shut up? Some of us didn't get enough sleep and have a hangover. So please- John?" An unfamiliar voice spoke from the table next to the two adolescents.

"Thomas, oh my gosh. Come on, we have to get you to the others," John said, standing up and grabbing one of a beaten and bruised man's arms. "Alex c'mon. Help me out here," he begged, slinging the strangers arm over his shoulder.

Alex hurried to help John help the stranger- Thomas -up. "Thank you, John. I promise I'll repay you. But first, tell me. Who's the beauty?" Thomas purred. Alex blushed.

John answered almost stiffly, "This is Alexander Hamilton, the Schuyler's adopted brother they wouldn't shut up about." The man looked Alex up and down, blatantly checking him out.

"Well, he's cute. You got a girlfriend, Alexander?" he asked bluntly but kindly. Alex shook his head.

"No, I'm gay. And I wouldn't want to burden anyone else with having to endure a relationship with me anyway."

Thomas looked at him sadly. "It couldn't possibly be a burden to date you. The only difficult thing would be keeping everyone else's hands off of you," he told him, his voice soft.

Alex blushed even deeper and looked away from Thomas's eyes. "Thank you," he whispered. Thomas shot him a smile and kept dragging his feet along.

"Anyway, Thomas, what happened to you?" John jumped in. Thomas groaned.

"James got angry at me again last night when we got back in from the party. He was so drunk he forgot that I came with him so I beat me for staying home while he was out. This morning, he cleaned all my cuts and looked after me." John sighed sadly.

Alex was confused. "James?" he asked confusedly. "I thought he seemed like a pretty nice guy."

Thomas glanced at him. "No, I mean James Reynolds. My boyfriend," he sighed.

Alex's eyes widened. "You have an abusive boyfriend?" he whispered. Thomas nodded, shutting his eyes as tears started slipping out of them.

"Yes," he cried, "I don't know how to get away from him. He'll hunt me down, make my life a living hell, maybe even hurt my siblings."

Alex's heart ripped as he heard Thomas's broken sobs. "Hey," he said, as he made Thomas look at him. "It'll be alright. You'll get away," he soothed.

John, who had been walking along in silence, listening to the two men's conversation jumped in. "Tom, don't worry. We wouldn't let him get you or your family," he said, his kind face filled with concern. Alex nodded in agreement. Thomas, who seemed to have sobered up, smiled faintly and wiped his tears away.

"Thanks you guys, Especially you, Alex. You don't even know me and you're offering to help me. Thank you," he croaked.

Alexander heard his voice crack as he answered, "It's no problem Thomas. In fact, it's my pleasure to help you." John looked between the two, a smirk growing on his face.

"Let's get to school. Thomas, we need to find James and Laf," John commanded, taking control. He turned to Alex. "Thomas and Laf are the same size of clothes and everything so Thomas can borrow some clothes from him. And James is the only one Thomas ever let's help him in this situation," he explained.

Alex nodded as Thomas argued, "No. I don't want Jemmy to help me when I'm like this. Alexander, would you?" Alex was struck dumb.

"You want me to help you?" he asked, dumbfounded. Thomas nodded, resolve clear on his face.

"Yes," he declared. John had been watching the two's antics for so long, he couldn't help it. He laughed.

When Alex and Thomas turned to him, confused, he giggled, "It's so funny watching you two. Thomas, you don't let any of your friends help you when you're hung-over or hurt because of James. Alexander, I've only known you for a short time, but from what the Schuylers told me, you don't say a lot to people you don't know or aren't friends with."

Alex and Thomas glanced at each other and looked away blushing when they met the others eyes. "What are you suggesting?" Thomas asked, his voice quiet with worry.

John sighed in exasperation. "You two obviously like each other, and I don't just mean that you've hit it off as friends," he explained. Thomas started hyperventilating.

"No. Nononono. No one can know. John, I'll kill you if you tell anyone. Please, James can't find out." Alex dropped to his knees in front of Thomas, looking up at him earnestly.

"Thomas, don't worry," he said, careful to keep his voice soft. "I do feel the way that John said, but I understand that you can't date me because you're in a relationship and I don't want you to get hurt because you tried to leave him. Just, try to get out of his grasp, not for me but for you. Promise me you'll try."

Thomas started sobbing as Alex stood up, pulling him into a hug. "It's not fair," he cried into Alex's shoulder, "I like you but I couldn't be with you because of James. Not to mention that I love him too. Not what he does to me but he doesn't mean to, I know he doesn't. He just has to teach me a lesson. I deserve it." Alex jumped away from Thomas as he said that he loved the bastard that beat him.

John wrapped an arm around his shoulders comfortingly. "Ok, come on guys, let's just go to school. We can sort this out later," John ordered, glaring between the two of them. They nodded and continued on their way to their school.