Chapter Twenty Seven

Alex began explaining. "So, basically, I don't really know so Eliza's gonna explain," he said, backing away and gesturing for Eliza to take centre stage.

Eliza stepped forward, shooting her girlfriend a nervous look and getting a supportive smile in return.

"I have an idea. It might work and if it does, we should be free of James. For good," she started. A rousing cheer went up at the thought of James being gone for good. 

Eliza gave a nervous smile and launched into an explanation. "So, for the first stage of the plan we need Alex, Thomas, John, Laf and Pe-" she cut herself off before she could add her younger sister. "And Maria," she changed, already mentally modifying the plan to make sure it would work without her sister. 

"Wait, no. I need Maria for a later part of the plan. Um, what about, er, Angelica? No that doesn't work either," Eliza shot Alex a frantic look. "We need Peggy. No matter what," she told him grimly.

Alex nodded with a heavy sigh. "Well, we're screwed then. What was it she said? 'I hate you and I don't care what depends on me helping you because I won't'? We're screwed," he said, sitting heavily on James's bed, putting his head in his hands. 

"I'm so sorry everyone. We got your hopes up for nothing. You may as well forget I exist," Alex said, forcing a smile. 

"No," Thomas said quietly. Everyone's heads shot towards him. "No, we just need something or someone Peggy would do anything for. Someone like her boyfriend," he said, a slow grin spreading across his face. 

John growled in frustration. "But we don't have someone like her boyfriend," he groaned, slamming his head back onto the mattress next to Alex. Everyone stared at him, dumbfounded. 

"Um, John, mon ami?" Laf asked. "You are Peggy's boyfriend." John frowned up at the ceiling. 

"Am I though?" he asked moodily. 

"I don't know. Are you?" Alex shot back. 

"I hurt her. I promised I would always put her first and I didn't. I may as well have broken up with her. When she slammed that door, she slammed the door on our relationship," John said, uncharacteristically poetic. 

"We have to try anyway. Where would Peggy go if she was upset?" Thomas coaxed. 

Alex, Eliza, Angelica and John all answered at the same time, "The park outside the school."

~Skip to the park~

"Peggy?"

"Peggy come out. I'm sorry!"

"Please Peggles, we need you!"

After what felt like yours of yelling, the youngest Schuyler sister emerged from behind a tree.

"What do you want?" she asked quietly, staring at the ground.

Alex sighed in relief. "Well, first, I want to make sure you're ok. I'm not saying that you need to forgive me or that you need to be alright with this situation but I want you to be ok, okay?"

Peggy looked at her adoptive brother with tears in her eyes. "I'm not ok Alex," she sobbed, suddenly breaking and falling into his arms.

Alex soothed her quietly, rubbing her back and stroking her hair. "Hey, hey, hey. It's going to be ok. I'm here now and I'm not going anywhere," he told her.

Peggy looked up at him, her cheeks tear-stained. "Is Eliza really your favourite sister?" she asked quietly.

Alex chuckled lightly. "No she isn't. I don't have a favourite sister because you're all great in your own way. Angie's always willing to give us all lifts to school and listen if we have a problem. Liza's constantly trying to do what's best for all of us and dishing out good advice and stopping us from killing each other. And you can always make me laugh. It doesn't matter how sad I am, you always know exactly what to say to make me laugh and brighten up my mood. You're super supportive and I love you just as much as I love our sisters," he said.

A sniff came from the side of the two embracing siblings, who looked up and saw John crying a little bit. Peggy giggled at the sight of her boyfriend with tears streaming down his face.

"Shuup Pegs, it isn't funny," he choked out. Peggy moved away from her brother and pulled her boyfriend into a hug.

"It kinda is," she whispered in his ear. He laughed wetly, pulling away to look at her face.

"I'm so sorry Peggy," John apologised earnestly. "I love you and I dont want to lose you and mph!"

Peggy cut her boyfriend off with a kiss, sending Alex a quick thumbs up behind his back. Alex went and stood next to Eliza, the two watching as Jeggy kissed tearfully.

It had been almost three minutes and Alex was starting to get worried. "Umm guys? Breathe? Are you alright? Cause we kinda need to go and get shit done... Eliza they're not responding, are they okay?"

Eliza just coughed, a clearing her throat kind of cough and the couple sprung apart. "Uh, sorry guys," Peggy said awkwardly.

Alex just stared. "But-but how-?" he stammered. Eliza just laughed.

"I do it to you and Thomas all the time. Apparently it works on all couples," she shrugged. "Anyway, we should head back to the others and get the plan ready. We can fill, well, everyone in when we get back to James's."

~So I'm sorry that this is so late but I had writer's block and I've been going through some mental health stuff due to being back at school so yeah.

On the other hand the story got 69 comments so...