Chapter Five

"Thomas," James said hesitantly. He looked almost scared.

"Yeah, wassup Jemmy?" Thomas replied, barely glancing up from the sidewalk.

"Well, it's two things really. One, are you mad about me dating Alexander?" Thomas looked at his best friend who looked like this had been eating away at him.

"Of course not. I'll only be mad if he hurts you. Then I swear to God, he will pay," Thomas swore. James cracked an almost smile and asked his second question, "How are things between you and James?"

Thomas's voice cracked. "Fine, just fine." James shot him a misbelieving look and he sighed, "Ok, things are terrible. It's even worse than it was when I first met Hamilton. And things were pretty bad then. He's been- I think he's cheating on me." Thomas's voice broke on the last sentence but he didn't cry.

James sighed, "Oh Thomas."

"He's been cheating on me with a girl. I don't- I don't know what to do, Jemmy. I love him, I love him so much, but he- he just keeps throwing everything back in my face. And I'm tired of not being the person he puts first, the one he loves. Because you can't pretend that he never loved me. In the beginning, he was fine, he was more than fine. Then-"

"Thomas, we don't need to talk about him. Let's forget about it for now, ok? Let's just pretend that none of this ever happened, not Reynolds, not Alex, not any of this. Remember when it was just you and me? And we'd spend all our time together?"

Thomas smiled. "Yeah, that was good. And when we first joined Angelica, Eliza, Peggy, John, Laf, Herc and Burr they were so nice to us. And then Alexander came along," he sighed. "I didn't hate him at first, y'know. I actually liked him. But I liked him too much and I loved James so I had to stop things before we got too close. I'm sorry that I made you think I wouldn't accept your boyfriend. It was quite hypocritical considering that I-"

"That you hold a deep, undying love for him?" James asked, a teasing tone to his voice, a small sad smile on his face.

"Don't worry about it. When we first got together, he told me. Not that you liked him, just his version of the story. Then he broke down and started crying. He said that he understood that I wouldn't want to be with someone who had feelings for someone else at the same time.

"Then I assured him that he wasn't alone when it came to split feelings because I had feelings for someone I could never have too.

"We decided that the best thing to do was stay together and stay happy. So we did and we ended up falling in love. It all worked out in the end. I know he still likes you but I don't mind. Because there's this girl that I'd kinda be into if I wasn't dating Alex.

"We wouldn't cheat."

Thomas was kind of struck speechless. James rarely said so much in one go. He tended to be quite quiet unless he was sassing someone. "Well," Thomas said. "Thanks, I guess."

The two walked along in silence until they reached Reynolds house. Thomas tensed subconsciously and James grabbed his arm.

"Hey," he started. "You don't need to do this, I can do it alone if you want." Thomas smiled at his best friend but shook his head.

"No. I want to. They won't believe you but they'll listen to me. I'll be ok Jemmy." James let go of his arm and gave him a doubtful look.

"If you say so," he muttered.

"C'mon, let's do this. Let's give them the joyous news," Thomas joked. James just nodded and walked inside. Thomas followed him, biting his lip nervously.

They walked up to Thomas's boyfriend's room and opened the door tentatively, Thomas looking fixedly at the ground. There sat all their friends.

Samuel and Charles sat so close together that Samuel was practically on his knee. George looked sort of lonely without Washington. Maria and Adams sat together, not close enough together to be considered a couple, but together. And James fucking Reynolds sat with some girl on his lap.

When the door opened he looked up lazily. "The fuck have you been?" he asked Thomas sharply.

Thomas continued to stare at the ground as he replied, "I was with James and.....Alexander." There was a cry of outrage as Thomas said he had been with Alex. The only people who didn't react to the news were James (the nice one), the girl on James's (the not nice one) knee and George. But George rarely reacted to anything, he was pretty good at coping with news.

Reynolds gestured for everyone to settle down and they did, most of them out of fear. "What were you doing with that bastard?" James asked, his voice dangerously calm.

"Well, I went to get James and Alex happened to be there and we started talking. We, um, we now have a truce with him and his friends," Thomas stated calmly, casting his gaze on the room for the first time. His breathing hitched a little as his eyes fixed on Reynolds who was currently making out with the girl on his knee.

The whole room fell silent and Reynolds, noticing the tension, broke away. "What?" he asked irritatedly. "Oh, Thomas. I can explain. It's not what it looks like-"

"Save it. Save it for someone who cares. Because I don't anymore. And I'm going to leave now and don't expect me to come back because I'm sick of this. Actually, who am I kidding? I probably will be back," Thomas said. Reynolds looked smug.

Thomas continued, "To get the stuff that I'm going to leave here. I'm going to take as much of it as possible just now, and then I'm going to leave and not come back. Any of you others are welcome to join me. Or you can stay right here. I honestly don't care. Goodbye."

With that, Thomas walked out of the room, James Madison hurrying after him. "Thomas, d-did you really just do that? Th-that was amazing! You're free. This is awesome. We hated him," James admitted.

Thomas chuckled. "I figured. You just didn't want to offend me?" James nodded.

"I'm so glad for you."

Thomas had a proper smile on his face, the first one he'd had in a long time. "So am I. Y'know, I might just leave my stuff here. If he wants rid of it he can throw it out. I don't think I want any of the things he contaminated." James giggled.

"You do you, Tom," a feminine voice said from behind him.

"We're all here for you no matter what," said another voice. Thomas turned around and saw all of his friends standing behind him, smiling.

"You guys, you know that if you side with me you're going to be siding with Hamilton and his crew? And Reynolds will make your life hell," Thomas stressed. Maria smiled at him.

"I don't mind hanging out with the Hamilsquad. There's a pretty cute girl there that I wouldn't mind getting to know. Also, I love you guys, but you have no idea how difficult it is being the only girl in a friend group. Like, when I get caught on unawares by my period-"

"Ok, Ria we get it. You're glad to have some girl company. No need for details," Charles interjected. "I don't mind hanging out with the Hamilsquad as long as you don't make me and Laurens become bosom buddies 'cause that isn't happening." All of the friends laughed as they stepped out into the sunshine.

"D-don't worry, Ch-Charles. N-no one is gonna make y-you t-two be friends. R-right?" Samuel asked, anxiety causing him to stammer.

"No one's going to make anyone friends with anyone if they don't like them," James said, always the reassuring voice of reason. The friends stopped inside the park, continuing to talk.

"Good. I refuse to be friends with any peasants," George announced, sticking his nose in the air, pretending to be arrogant. There was a pause then they all burst out laughing.

"Good one Georgie. You almost had us there," John Adams beamed.

"Oh yeah. Aren't you guys even the slightest bit curious why I was with Alex?" James asked.

"Jem, we love you, but we're not stupid. We all knew you were dating him. Well, apart from Thomas. He was blinded to a lot of things," Maria told him.

James couldn't help but smile. "You guys are legit the best friends a guy could ask for," he said, pulling them all in for a hug.