Chapter Fifty Six

Thomas parked Angelica's car carefully in its usual space and got out. John and Alex got out of the back where they'd cuddled together, whispering and giggling about things Thomas didn't want to know about.

"You ready to enter hell?" he teased, sliding an arm around his smaller boyfriends. John pushed him, giggling lightly.

Alex mimicked his action, also giggling. "The descent into hell is easy," he quoted, causing John to gasp.

He pointed at his boyfriend. "You're into Shadowhunters?!" he asked.

Alex pointed back at him. "No, I have no idea what that is!" he replied in the same tone of voice. "I was quoting Virgil." John pouted at him, crossing his arms across his chest and sulking.

Thomas squeezed his shoulder sympathetically. "We'll introduce him to the fandom with time John," he soothed. 

John grinned up at him, all traces of sulking vanishing. "Heheheh, yeah we will," he agreed ominously. 

Shuddering, Alex opened the door to his home. "Welp, now I'm nervo- what the fuck," he stopped in his trail. 

His boyfriends just strode into the chaos that was the original Schuyler family running around, tidying up. Philip burst into the room in a shirt and tie and saw the boys immediately. 

"Ah! John, Thomas, I need you two to go tidy the kitchen up a bit," he ordered. Alex's boyfriends mock-saluted him and sauntered in the direction of the kitchen. "Alex, go tidy your room," he turned the order onto his adoptive son.

Alex looked outraged. "Why the hell should I do that?" he asked sharply. "Your ex-wife isn't going anywhere near my room." 

Philip sent him a pleading look. "Please, one of them will report back to her and she'll yell at me for letting your room fall into a state. Also, you need two air mattresses on the floor of your room, and John and Thomas are gonna have to stay on them while the others are here."

His adoptive son gaped at him and there was a giggle from behind him as Peggy took a photo. Philip shut his eyes and breathed heavily. "Peggy, if you're standing there when I turn around you are going to wish you were never born," he threatened. "We have too much to do right now."

Peggy scampered off. Alex huffed. "Fine, I'll tidy my room and we'll see about the air mattresses," he compromised. Philip mouthed thank you at him as he walked away. 

Angelica appeared and Alex returned her car keys to her. "Haha, I forgot this was your first switch day," she laughed. "You get used to it, I'm sure you saw John and Thomas."

Alex rolled his eyes and made to go up the stairs, grateful that his room was more or less tidy. The doorbell rang and everyone in the house froze for a moment.

Suddenly there was a thunder of feet on the stairs and Eliza and Peggy turned up, standing at the bottom in a resigned way that made it obvious they'd done it before. Thomas and John leaned against the kitchen doorframe together.

Angelica walked to her sisters, pulling Alex with her. They stood with their sisters and Angelica squeezed his shoulder comfortingly. "Welcome to hell," John murmured, breaking the stiff atmosphere. 

Peggy glared at him and threw a pair of socks at him. He pocketed them before Philip could ask him to and received a grateful look in return. The head of the Schuyler household took a deep breath before opening the door. 

"Kitty," he greeted her cordially. Catherine Rensselaer smiled at her ex-husband and Alex waited eagerly for his siblings to come through the door.

Catherine looked over her shoulder and called, "Kids!" Four children came into the entrance hall, the two elder boys carrying their younger sisters.