Chapter 1 : Empty Space

10 May 2021

1 year and 5 months but she was still not over their death. Afterall they were two of the most important people in her life. Her parents. No one knew that this all happy, cheerful and bubbly girl cries to sleep at night just thinking about how she should have been the one to die instead of her parents. Thinking how her perfectly happy life turned upside down in just one night. The night of the accident that changed everything. The night she, Choi Eunjae, became an orphan.

She wanted to be happy because it was their last wish for her but no matter how much she tried, there was a part inside her which craved for love of her parents, love of her family. She was completely lonely, no one to share her problems and struggles with, no one to tell her that it all will be fine.

Sitting on her bed inside a small room in the orphanage she was once again watching the old videos and photos of the trips she went with her parents. No matter how many times she watch them, they still held the power to make her eyes wet, the power to make her feel the empty place in her life. The empty space of a family.

Closing her laptop she was about to start with her assignment when a sudden knock at the door caught her attention. Thinking maybe it was one of those kids asking her to play again she pulled up a fake smile on her face and opened the door, but she stood confused when she saw a middle-aged man and woman standing in front of her.

"How may I help you?" Eunjae asked politely as she bowed to them in respect. No matter whatever happened in her life, her kind personality was still the same. It was something she got from her parents.

"Your voice is really sweet Eunjae." The lady spoke. Her long black locks were loosely falling over her plain white dress and her honey brown skin perfectly contrasted with it.

"Thank you ma'am, but do I know you?" The confused girl asked again, this time fearing that she'll offend them.

"No but you'll get to know us soon. I am Kim Dongsin and she's my wife Kim Soomin." The man, who was dressed in a simple suit, said pointing towards the lady as he too passed Eunjae a warm smile. "We are here to talk to you about something important."

Eunjae felt more confused at why would they suddenly show up in front of her door and introduce themselves. As long as she knew all her family members abandoned her after her parent's death and she don't remember any of her father's friends by the name of Kim Dongsin.

Maybe sensing her confused face, the old lady spoke again. "Don't be confused dear. Can we come inside and talk?"

The young girl hesitantly nodded her head and stepped aside making way for Mr and Mrs Kim to enter. She was still unsure of why won't they tell the reason of their arrival but nevertheless she knew she can't just tell them to go away. How rude and mannerless it would sound, right? Mr and Mrs Kim took a place on her bed while she dragged her study chair and sat infront of them.

"I'm sorry but I don't recognize who you are. Could you tell the purpose of your visit here." She said thinking that maybe it was really one of her parent's friends whom she never met. Aish! How bad impression it would put on them.

"It's fine Eunjae. There was no way you would recognise us. We never met before. We came here to meet you and tell you something." He said it casually but it wasn't something casual.

If they never met her before, she doesn't know them, then why would they want to meet her? Not like she was a really famous person whom people would want to meet. She was just an ordinary orphan.

"Ohhh. Why would you want to meet me?" She asked a bit nervously.

"Eunjae, it might be sudden for you be we are planning to adopt you. You would be staying with us from now on. We wanted to tell this to you ourselves so we came here to meet you." Her voice was soft and calm, as her face held a small smile.

A feeling of happiness rushed through her body along with nervousness. The thought that she was finally having a family was joy in itself but she couldn't ignore the feeling of fear and hesitancy that accompanied it.

'Isn't a 19 year girl too old to adopt?' Was the question that was running rounds inside her head.

"A-are you sure it's me? Maybe its some other girl with the same name."

The man chuckled at her words and face that was laced with confusion, but he could clearly see the smile that was fighting to creep on her lips. "Don't worry dear. It's you. We already did a research on you and your background."

The word research made a sudden panic burst inside her but she knew better than to show it in her face 'A background check! Then do they also know– no no they won't or else they would never have come here'

"Eunjae? Is it okay with you?"

"Huh?" The lady's voice caught her attention as she looked up again. "I-I don't know. Are you sure with all this?"

"Obviously we are! Or else we wouldn't have come here." She saw the smile that the man passed her, it was warm and genuine. She nodded at him and witnessed how his smile only bacame more wide.

"We'll come again two days later to pick you up and take you where we stay, well more like where our sons stay." The lady said standing up and Mr Kim followed her actions as they both walked to the door.

Reaching the door Mrs Kim gave her a final goodbye hug and then parted looking at her with affection.

"I'm sure they'll take good care of you." She heard Mr Kim say as he too passed a sincere smile and then left the room.

Alone. Once again she was all alone in the room but this time with a different emotion taking up her body. Did someone really adopt her? She never thought about having a family again, not so soon atleast. Yes it has been more than a year, but still it was too early. Is there finally someone who can give her the warmth of the family she was craving for so long. A motherly affection, a father's care and even a brother's love? Wait! They said she would be living with them? That means they have more than one son.

Unintentionally a smile crept on her face. Not like she was trying to replace her parents with someone else, but she needed someone who can give her the same love and affection as them. She knew that they would be happy for her knowing that she finally had a family. She held the necklace around her neck and stared at the pendant, a small platinum pendant in the shape of a butterfly which a gift from her parents on her birthday.

"Look Eomma Appa. I will finally have a family. I promise I won't disappoint you nor them. I'll be the best version of myself. You're happy for me too right?" She kissed it softly feeling as if it wasn't the pendant but her parents' cheeks. Oh how much she misses them!

Laying on the bed she stared at the roof wall thinking how her new family would be. Was it really happening? Is someone trying to pull a prank? But who would dare to do that? She had to convince herself repeatedly that all this was a reality. She didn't realize when her eyes felt heavy and she drifted off to her dreamland. After a long time she was genuinely happy and went to bed without crying. After a long time she felt that someone in this world is ready to make her a part of their family.

"Love them just as your own family, princess. We would be watching you from above. We both love you."

•√•

Hello peoples. Here's my second book. I wanted to try something different than the common BTS Brothers AU story plotting. Hope you like it.

Your Overtalented Author
~AV

07/01/2021